ThinkPad X220

I have two ThinkPad X220's which ran FreeBSD just fine until recently one of them just switched off and would not reboot.... After looking around for a possible solution, I came up with this bad news:-

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...ound-power-button-flashes-every-3/td-p/659779

It looks as though if you have one with a serial number starting R9- you could be at risk and you are living on borrowed time.
Mine lasted a few years and worked fine without any indication that it would suddenly die. This is very disappointing for me since I've always been a big fan of ThinkPads, but recently quite a few of mine are giving up the ghost.

Oof!

If I experience similar with mine, I doubt I would have any solution since I bought all of mine second hand. More shite for the landfill and that annoys the hell out of me.

Old stuff unfortunately breaks and I have yet to find a company that specializes in manufacturing the exact same hardware for 50 years+ (the issue seems to be at the processor level).

Quality since Lenovo has slowly been regressing but unfortunately Thinkpads are *still* the more robust choice overall in my experience. I am hoping a better company steps up one day. I have zero loyalty to any hardware manufacturer these days.

ThinkPad-EC.
Which only 2 options won't work - Battery and Hibernate. obviously you need to do a bit of work but if only a few bits are not working ( bat and hibernate ) oh and caps light - and you like a bit of DIY - why not? but that's my 2 ct. or if you don't care - get x230 then or even better - x240 and you can swap touchpad but then yes - you have new style keyboard :) these days you have plenty to choose from when it comes to ThinkPad's and it won't be too expensive ( obviously, some of them hold a bit more of that value but with a good search you can get one pretty cheap ) just biggest issue is the screen

ThinkPad-EC.
Which only 2 options won't work - Battery and Hibernate. obviously you need to do a bit of work but if only a few bits are not working ( bat and hibernate ) oh and caps light - and you like a bit of DIY - why not? but that's my 2 ct. or if you don't care - get x230 then or even better - x240 and you can swap touchpad but then yes - you have new style keyboard :) these days you have plenty to choose from when it comes to ThinkPad's and it won't be too expensive ( obviously, some of them hold a bit more of that value but with a good search you can get one pretty cheap ) just biggest issue is the screen
Thanks for reminder about that great work to make *30 ThinkPads mostly work with *20 keyboards.

Last time I checked the compatibility was a lot less useful. I can live without 'Battery' and 'Hibernate' keys just fine which means that I will definitely look into *30 ThinkPads now :)

Back