Solved Think I messed something up (Xorg or Slim)

Hi There!

First of all I'm a newbie so bare with me :)
I have installed Xorg, MATE and mate-desktop. I have also added in dbus_enable, hald and slim in rc.conf.

But! After boot it just become black. Any ideas? And is there some way I can abort the automatic login so I can access the console?

Sorry for misspelling and odd words posting from Phone with swedish wordlist.

One thing you really need to learn, as you're going to use it often, is to boot to single user mode. Press enter when asked about the shell then, for ZFS:
Code:
zfs mount -a
zfs set readonly=off zroot # Replace zroot with the name of your pool
For UFS:
Code:
mount -u /
mount -a

After these commands you can modify /etc/rc.conf and disable GDM or Slim.

A lot of the time booting to single user mode is the only way to fix things when it all goes belly up. Learning the commands will really help you in sticky situations ;)

Thanks for that, now to the next issue. The black screen.

I have tried startx, and mate-session.
startx gives a black screen and mate-session gives
Code:
** cannot open display

My driver is Intel HD 4000.

Xorg and x11/mate was downloaded with pkg install mate.

Thanks

Hi!

sysctl kern.vty:
Code:
kern.vty: vt

uname -a:
Code:
FreeBSD BSD-jimmy 11.0-CURRENT Freebsd 11.0-CURRENT #0 r285794: Wed Jul 22 16:58:53 UTC 2015 root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Is there a reason you are using 11-CURRENT? Things frequently change or break on a daily basis in CURRENT. It's the bleeding edge of FreeBSD development only meant to be used by experienced users and developers.

Oo. I thought current was the latest one... So no reason - I bit stressed when I downloaded the img. Is it somehow possible to downgrade to the more stable version or do I have to make a new install?

You'll have to reinstall the operating system unfortunately as you can't downgrade from CURRENT. However, you can make a backup of your configuration files to refer to and a backup of any other files before reinstalling. Please see the FreeBSD Handbook for the differences between RELEASE, STABLE, and CURRENT.

FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE is the most current release of the 10 branch and most likely what you'd want. An ISO or IMG file for the release can be downloaded from here: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/10.2/

Hi! New problem.

My BIOS seems to be corrupt (actually is a pretty normal issue with Acer's crappy piece of s**t computers) as I found a Acer forum with the exact same issue right after the warranty has ended.

I can't enter BIOS and I can't boot from USB.
I press F2, the computer beeps then moves on to the BSD loader screen. Nothing happens when I try to boot from USB. Not even my Win 8 rescue USB.

Is there some possibility to boot the USB from the loader screen. Like in grub(8) you could do something like
Code:
set root=(hd1) chainloader +1 boot
Or should I play basketball with my laptop and the trash bin?

"Life is like a box of chocolate"

If you have a different issue not related to this thread's subject, please start a new thread with your new problem. More people will see it that way and the chances of help will be much better.

If you have a different issue not related to this thread's subject, please start a new thread with your new problem. More people will see it that way and the chances of help will be much better.

I will think of that in the future, I just felt a bit uncomfortable with the feeling that I would spam the forum with my mess. :)

But. I solved my issue - laptop surgery and removing the CMOS battery was the cure. If someone in the future have a problem similar to mine.

No need to worry about spamming the Forum. As long as you have valid questions it's not a problem. You can mark this thread "Solved" by clicking on "Thread Tools" in the upper right while viewing the thread, then clicking "Edit Thread". You'll have an option to add the "Solved" prefix to the thread title.

Back