there are plans to include CDE in ports?

Hi, I'm asking for CDE because is a "not-bad" desktop environment, it's very fast and in its free version has almost all capabilities enabled. Some days ago, I downloaded CDE source, and I have noticed that it works very well, but some NON-Motif apps have some "look" issues, but nothing serious. Also I have read that developers need some help to get out of the "alpha/beta stage", and go for a MIT/BSD source license.

What do you think about this DE?

CDE-SourceForge

I would definitely approve of this even though I don't use CDE anymore, for various reasons.

For several months it looked like the developers had just quit on it, but lately there have been many changes to the code. I am pleased to see the lock button is finally fixed.

Perhaps I should try the latest version on my ancient Dell 4400. :)

Luckily CDE has hardly any dependencies compared to any other DE. This means that compiling without a port is pretty easy. However it would be pretty cool to get it in ports.

It shouldn't be too hard since pretty much all of it is localised to /usr/dt so if I can find out how to replace that (in the awful imake system) then it should be plain sailing.

Back