The views of a self taught computer inthusist

F

flipper_88

I can remember back high school , I had a huge number of these entitled brats due to there parents owning Property in a middle/High income portion of mid to northern Bergen County, New Jersey mean while I road a total of 50+ minutes round trip to Tenafly, New Jersey with a father and mother who guinanly carted enough to pay the extremely high Bergen County, New Jersey . My father traveled a lot in order to support My sister and i through secondary and post secondary schooling, which the later of which I couldn't finish due to Epilepsy and other Developmental / Learning Disadvantages. The majority of my technical education through floundering and via googling and making several newbie questions on forums and getting kicked from pillar to frigging Post on several , Linux and other Free and Open Source Software forums and Newsgroups and getting experienced Linux/FOSS and BSD users but I've also gained an inordinate amount of historical and and currently relevant knowledge as it relation to the Information Technology / Information Systems Industry and respect people like you're self and Virginia "Gini" Rometty the current Chief Executive Officer of International Business Machines (Big Blue/IBM).

I'm completely self-taught. :beer:

I had to go to a library, the internet didn't exist yet.

I can remember back high school ...
In my last two years of high school, our high school got a computer (singular); it was a Commodore Pet 2001, with the square key board, and cassette tapes for storage.

The majority of my technical education through floundering and via googling ...

A good way to learn. The trick is to google for good sources of technical education. Google is not the knowledge itself; it is a directory that helps you find the knowledge. Google is like the card catalog in a library. By the way, Google (the company) was founded about 10 years after I finished my formal education.

... and making several newbie questions on forums and getting kicked ...

That is probably not a good way of learning. Forums are a good place to get detailed technical problems answered; not a good way to learn the basics. Unless what you ask on a forum is "what book should I read to learn about XXX".

... and respect people like ... Virginia "Gini" Rometty the current Chief Executive Officer of International Business Machines (Big Blue/IBM).
She's spelled Ginni. I'm not sure I would describe her as "respected". Rather on the contrary; I would describe her more as "derided", "ridiculed", "pitied", "misunderstood". She is currently performing the next step of thoroughly ruining IBM. In her defense, the problems of IBM have existed long before she became CEO (although her 35-year career contributed to some of these problems), and she has no way of solving them. Perhaps her role will eventually be described by history similar to the captain of the Titanic: while her actions didn't help prevent the disaster, and while other forces were bigger contributing factors in creating it, she honorably presided over the sinking of a great ship.

I had to go to a library, the internet didn't exist yet.

The library had computers before i had one. I used to go look up Playstation1 Gameshark codes on theirs.

Back