The state of videoconferencing on FreeBSD

Skype and Team video work fine in FreeBSD. I used to have video chat using Skype, i.e. 2 participants. I'm not sure about more that two participants.
Unfortunately you have to use Chromium browser. I think Firefox has some WebRTC implementation issue. But you have to try it. Make sure your hardware works properly, e.g. cam, wifi, etc. If you have a GPT/win10 laptop, shrink the HDD, install the FreeBSD along the Windows, dual boot and try it for a while.

In my case I have to log into Google Meet sometimes, and ironically I can only do it via Firefox. In Chromium I was not able to select the correct mic source, but in Firefox I was. And I had to install Pulse Audio -- there may be a way without, but this got the job done quickly. Setting up my internal mic was the main obstacle to video conferencing.

phalange any success with Skype/Team in Firefox? I really want to dump Chromium. Skype is the only reason I still use Chromium. Team is not important.

No, I don't currently use skype so I didn't test that. I looks like there's a skype plugin for firefox though, it's worth a try.

Reactions: a6h
Skype and Team video work fine in FreeBSD. I used to have video chat using Skype, i.e. 2 participants. I'm not sure about more that two participants.
Unfortunately you have to use Chromium browser. I think Firefox has some WebRTC implementation issue. But you have to try it. Make sure your hardware works properly, e.g. cam, wifi, etc. If you have a GPT/win10 laptop, shrink the HDD, install the FreeBSD along the Windows, dual boot and try it for a while.
Actually I bought an SSD to reduce power consumption and I plan to install FreeBSD on that and remove the HDD. I can keep the Windows on the HDD until I try it out. I need both Teams and Zoom, at least to watch the conference. I'll need camera and microphone support in 1-2 months, currently it is not that important. I try to avoid pulseaudio and systemd, but I am pretty sure this can be solved without them.

Reactions: a6h
Teams online doesn't work on firefox esr for me as it loops back to logging into your microsoft account but other cloud app works fine. It has worked before but ever since I changed the time on my desktop it never seemed to work right since.

The weird part with Zoom is firefox have issue outputting the sound to the system but other browser works fine except I've yet come to terms of how to get microphone to work on my inline earphone.

Back