The handbooks title doesn't do it justice

Your FreeBSD handbook almost reads like a story, yet it moves quickly through essential topics. It's the best I've ever read. It's a shame to see it called a handbook, even if that's all it is. There should be a special name for such things.

The FreeBSD Bible? Heh.

I agree though, the FreeBSD handbook has been an invaluable resource for me. I have even used it on occasion for a quick-reference from Linux systems for some cross-platform software configuration.

I agree with you guys. The handbook gives you a nice overview on the topic for better understanding. Not just the step by step configuration, we can do ourselfs

Everything you wanted to know about FreeBSD but were afraid to ask :e

I think most, if not all other software companies, products, etc etc. should follow suit. I have yet to find a manual/handbook that explains anything in such detail as the FreeBSD handbook does. Seems like most of the time people (myself included) have assumed that their question wouldnt be answered in the manual and post on the forums to get a quicker answer all because we have read enough documentation that just plain sucks...and dont expect the level of detail to be in a handbook. Then someone links you right to the page you needed in the manual. FreeBSD obviously likes to pay attention to detail and precision. Kudos

Right, there's a lot to be said for a functional, comprehensive, accurate, updated piece of documentation in the OS / software world.

I work with so many software vendors (certain Linux distros included) where documentation is regularly outdated, absurdly cryptic, and/or incomplete. After putting all that effort into development, you'd think organizations would want to get it documented clearly and properly.

FreeBSD gets an A+ in that area.

---

As for the name, I think "FreeBSD Handbook" may not do it justice, but it's become something of a brand in the tech world. I'd hate to mess with that.

I have so many FreeBSD Books I literally can't count. My collection started with "The FreeBSD PowerPak" which was FreeBSD 4.0 on CD + a 6 CD Tool Kit for FreeBSD, and then "The complete FreeBSD" Book, 3rd Edition. Which remains one of my favorite books. I have the updated version too but it just isn't as nice looking as the 3rd edition.

I basically had some extra cash at one point, so I went to the FreeBSD Mall, and ordered EVERY book they sell on there. All at once. I know it's a lot of cash, but I have a VERY nice Library now. I also got the Stickers, Case Plate, Mouse Pad, Tee Shirt, and the Boxers. Basically I ordered everything except a few shirts and that stuffed Beastie.

I think you should order those shirts and the stuffed Beastie. You're obviously not doing enough.

I agree. The use I've gotten from FreeBSD, has far surpassed the money I spent. That's why I donate whenever I can :)

I'm looking for a job right now though and I've been broke, so it's been a while since I put some cash back into FreeBSD. But, I have donated quite a bit, and I always buy most of my stuff. Like I said I have 4.0, and I bought 5.0 and 6.0 (twice, I could afford it at the time) and I buy everything I can afford to help out.

I think of it as "Well, you already paid for a copy of Windows you rarely use, why not put some money back to people who make something you actually wanted and don't even ask for money in return?".

;)

This is one of the reasons why i love FreeBSD. If the Handbook of an OS teach you how to install, use and customize it, is updated, understandable by noobs and a reference for experts, surely the OS is written better.

Yes. The FreeBSD Handbook is great. I think most people who are new to FreeBSD don't expect such a good piece of documentation, when they start to learn about FreeBSD. I've already talked to many newcomers and pointed them to the handbook, because most questions they might have in the next few weeks are answered there.

There are some chapters/sections that have a very weird title. Especially the last section of "Jails" is named weird and is the most important part of Jail documentation for me. There are some minor problems here and there, but it is surely the best piece of end-user documentation, I've ever seen. Keep the good work!

If, you dont like read the one thousand (approx.) or almost all pages, you can download the handbook on .pdf file and go to the printery. (Here is cheap, ~100€ or more, to all)

Back