The forum could help with personnel search

I would like to suggest a "skill search" addition to the forum.

Considering that almost every member of the forum is somehow professionally involved with FreeBSD (usage, administration, development etc), the forum would also be an excellent platform for companies or organizations searching for people skilled in a particular field of FreeBSD. There could also be a section / page where such a company would announce a position opening, adding whether it was full-time or project based.

Basically, members would enter their self-assessed skill rating by topic on a 5 point scale, under a new section in their profile page; something like:
  • Networking 4
  • Security 3
  • FreeBSD Certified NO
And maybe some general background of what the person did: Network Admin for past 5 years.

I also understand there would be following shortcomings / problems:
- Self-assessment of skills is highly subjective and even open to exaggeration.
- The forum is not an employment agency and does not want to go on tangents.

However, where else are you going to find the most capable technical people for FreeBSD? This would also be a good way to maximize information flow and income of forum members. Entering the skill information would not be mandatory of course, only for those wanting to use it. The difficult part from the forum's point of view, is that the skill database should be searchable by a company looking for such persons and this would take time and resources to set up.

Anyway, just an idea...

I don't think this will be added to the forum, as it would require all types of hooks and programming and development and maintenance etc. No one has the time for this. And
the forum is not an employment agency and does not want to go on tangents
hits it on the head, too. It would be nice if something like this existed, but since there's already LinkedIN with some BSD groups/communities, including job boards ... that would seem a far better place.

Thanks for the input everyone, happy to see that this has been addressed in various forms.

@ DutchDaemon: Maybe a STICKY about the various sites + leads available?

Back