The Dell 5590 laptop: the touchpad only works on X11 and wayland, but not on a bare console.

The support for the touchpad is loaded through the hmt driver. X11 and Wayland can utilize this touchpad through the /dev/input event interface; however, on a bare console, moused doesn't support event devices. The documentation for the hmt driver states it can't utilize /dev/sysmouse, which means that moused can't load it on a bare console. As far as I know, /dev/psm0 only gets created if hardware has an AUX port; it's quite possible this laptop doesn't have this type of port. So, am I out of luck if I want to use the touchpad on a bare console? Would connecting a USB mouse to the laptop be my only solution in this case if I want anything mouse-related to be used on a bare console? In the ports collection, there is no mouse driver that can access /dev/input/event* in order for me to use it on a bare console? Please tell me if this problem has any kind of solution that doesn't involve connecting a USB mouse to the laptop.

I just found out there is a moused driver with evdev support, even though it's not part of the official FreeBSD source tree. After I installed it, it resolved my issue!

Good eve! I have a Dell Precision m7780 and its touchpad is a CIRQUE (had to email Dell tech support to figure this out). Any idea which model touchpad YOUR Dell has? YES, I run 13.2-RELEASE, but I simply cannot get the touchpad to be recognized by BSD, and don't have any issues with USB-driven mice. And I've seen nothing about cirque touchpads being supported by BSD. And yes, I've installed the evdev, perhaps I don't have it configured properly in /boot/loader.conf and/or etc/rc.conf....sigh. What did you do to make the Dell touchpad function? Thanks!!

As I said in my first post, the touchpad in my laptop is supported by the hmt driver. The manual page describing hmt says "The hmt driver provides support for the MS Windows 7/8/10 - compatible HID multi-touch devices found in many laptops." As soon as I installed FreeBSD on my computer, the hmt driver was loaded. I didn't have to do any additional work to load it, though in the pure text console environment, the touchpad wasn't functional for me because the moused daemon in the base system doesn't support /dev/input/event* character devices the hmt driver utilizes. As soon as I installed an X11 window manager/Wayland compositor, I could use my touchpad. I didn't have to do any additional work to make the touchpad functional on X11 and Wayland because they both support libinput/evdev that utilizes /dev/input/event*. As soon as I installed the moused daemon that supports evdev (this daemon is not found in the official FreeBSD source tree), the touchpad became functional in the pure text console environment too... Is there a FreeBSD driver that supports your CIRQUE touchpad? When you type "dmesg | grep touchpad" or "dmesg | grep TouchPad" or "dmesg | grep Touchpad", do you see any output?

Good late AMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! (yes, my 'effin keyboard goes NUTS if I accidently make any sort of contact with my touchpad while typing).

"dmesg |grep" has 0 results, no matter how I spell touchpad.

I added the following to /boot/loader.conf but no joy:
hmt_load="YES"

I have Mate/Cinnamon/kde5 as my windows choices. Which do you use?
I ran bsdconfig and selected to add moused and the following were added to /etc/rc.conf:

moused_enable="YES"
moused_type="auto"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_flags=""

I get no results when googling 'freebsd cirque'

I install the following on 13.2 (I picked this RELEASE as it supports my Wifi card):
"pkg prime-list" output:

cinnamon
drm-kmod
firefox
gpart
kde5
mate
nvidia-driver
nvidia-settings
nvidia-xconfig
pkg
slim
wifimgr
xf86-input-evdev
xf86-input-synaptics
xorg

Respectfully, Mark
PS: installing GNOME, then rebooting....
PPS: no luck with Gnome after reboot, either sigh...

Are you sure your touchpad is Synaptics compatible? If it is, then the hmt driver is not something that you would need to load because hmt is only for Microsoft-compatible touchpads. Do you have psm0 in your /dev directory?

I'm guessing cirque is NOT synaptics compatible at this point! And NO to psm0 in /dev. I appreciate your help/guidance! This laptop boots Win10/11/Ubuntu/Kali and works flawlessly; FreeBSD not so much <G>. And in Win10, the touchpad is using a'Microsoft' driver.

I will, thanks! Enjoy your weekend! Again, appreciate your help!!
And a PS: quick edit - he'd like the output from the following:
Please enclose output of next commands (posting here so I can see this when I reboot in BSD):

# devinfo -rv
# acpidump -dt
# usbconfig

Last edited:
Back