The computer keeps crashing during the compilation process of chromium-123.0.6312.58_1, but never crashed when I was building version 123.0.6312.58!

To be precise, I asked about the cooler model to get some idea what would be the expected temp from the existing reviews (looking at this or similar models) to decide whether it's correctly installed.

The TDP numbers that the manufacturers provide are very broad recommendations: the amount of heat that the cooler dissipates is not just function of heat sink area, the volume of air that goes through is also important and it's up to to the manufacturer at which fan RPM they actually measure the cooler's performance. I don't think a tower cooler with 4 heat pipes is really that bad, it's just that it likely requires running fans a bit faster (in comparison to beefier models), which can be somewhat noisy.

Since you weren't bothered by the noise so far, it's better to try adjusting L1 and L2 power limits appropriately (disabling Turbo Boost entirely is unreasonable). If you do that correctly, your performance drop should be 5%-15% in comparison to the ideal scenario.

try adjusting L1 and L2 power limits appropriately (disabling Turbo Boost entirely is unreasonable). If you do that correctly, your performance drop should be 5%-15% in comparison to the ideal scenario.
There is nothing in my UEFI that even mentions L1 and L2 power limits. I have no idea what the term "L1 and L2 power limits" even means. After googling, I found out that the wikipedia says "Most CPUs have a hierarchy of multiple cache levels (L1, L2, often L3, and rarely even L4)", but... I didn't know what I was supposed to do after reading that. That piece of information from the wikipedia meant almost nothing to me... In the UEFI, I found the setting "L1 substates", but I have no idea what it means. There is nothing in my UEFI that even mentions "L2". You mentioned running fans a bit faster, so I found the QFan Controls setting in the UEFI, and I made sure that all the fans that I have would always run at their maximum speeds. Then I re-enabled the Shift technology, Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology, and Turbo Mode in the UEFI. So, after I loaded the OS, sysctl -a | grep cpu.*.freq: showed me
Code:
for every core that I have. I started compiling chromium to find out what this experiment would lead to and a few minutes later, the computer crashed. A few seconds before the crash, I noticed that the temperature for at least one of the cores was already 95 degrees by Celsius. Of course, I hadn't actually followed your piece of advice because as I said, I don't know what L1 and L2 power limits are, but "running fans a bit faster" was something I could understand and that had led me to adjust the QFan Controls setting. :)

The photos do show a rather old model... and it doesn't look like you unbolted the cooler to look on all sides.

Be Quiet! is a good brand - I have a Pure Loop liquid cooler by that same company myself. Most aftermarket coolers are pretty easy to install, no need to pull the mobo out. So yeah, I'd say go ahead and get that cooler. Do watch out for cable connectors - those can be a little awkward to install.
I will receive that cooler tomorrow and install it... Do you really think that after I install it, I will finally be able to build software by utilizing Turbo Max 3.0 and not crash?

Thinking of how long you tinkered with this and how much faster it would need to get so you end up with saved time...

I installed the new cooler, re-enabled Turbo Boost, and built chromium in 1 hour and 44 minutes without crashing. I had never built this version earlier: 123.0.6312.105. However, ccache was enabled, so I don't know how to interpret these results. While monitoring the temperatures during the build process, I noticed that quite often, they rose above 90 degrees. Given the fact that the cooler's TDP is 150 W, I don't know how to interpret these observations either.

Well, it's a heat sink of similar construction and surface area.
I noticed the same thing too... Well, if I replace it with an AIO cooler, will I finally see temperatures that don't rise above 80 degrees during an intensive compilation process?.. You guys implied that even during an intensive compilation process, it would be a rare occurrence for temperatures to rise above 90 degrees, but you already know what results I got with this 150W cooler... As I said, one positive thing happened after I installed the new cooler: I didn't crash while compiling chromium with Turbo Boost frequencies enabled. But I only did one test so far...

Back