Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the process of lurking I see all the normal complaints about this that and the other thing, so I wanted to express appreciation for a positive experience w/ FreeBSD.

I just went through the process of installing FBSD 8.1 on a server yesterday evening and I am in the process of setting up and configuring the different services and it has been a real smooth process and a pleasure so far.

The documentation is amazing, and I can't see a need to ask questions in the forum for a long time, based on what I have been reading so far.

Finally, contrary to some opinions, I think the ports rock. It's the simplicity of this system I appreciate. I think there is more than enough discussion about ports so I won't detail why here, but it will be enough to list myself among the group who likes the ports.

Thanks to all who put effort into making FBSD what it is.

Thanks from me as well

I had to do this on the PC-BSD side so here's one for FreeBSD as well. Thanks to all involved for making what's probably the best UNIX flavor in existence today!

(I've been using FreeBSD on some combination of servers and desktops since 2001 and it's always performed wonderfully, especially on the server side.)

Yesterday I installed the 'vanilla' FreeBSD 8.1 for a desktop and found it was surprisingly easy to get up and running. Meanwhile, I am still struggling to get a test install of Debian up due to the convoluted boot loader process involved.

So again, thanks and kudos for keeping FreeBSD great! :D

I am still struggling to get a test install of Debian up due to the convoluted boot loader process involved.
Convoluted you say? Mhh... let me see:
a) You want to install grub: "yes"
b) You want to install it to mbr: "yes".
Yup, sounds rather difficult.

Indeed it is rather difficult! I'm having a Linux buddy help me out and he doesn't know why it won't boot either. The Super Grub cd finally did the trick so I've been using that, but yeah the installed boot is a no-go :) hence that was my actual experience rather than trolling.

Ok.
But if it fails it fails. That doesn't make it convoluted it general. In case it works its a no-brainer.
(Same goes, btw, for the BSD-installation of the boot-loader). In case it doesn't work there are easy ways to solve it.

Sorry that you had problems, but good you got it sorted now.
Hopefully i will get mine, adding FreeBSD to the grub2-menu, sorted too. Doesn't look so, but it ain't BSD's nor grub2's/Debian's fault.

Definitely not Debian's fault, the OS itself seemed to be performing beautifully from what I've seen so far. Either way I'm glad there are support communities for both BSD and Debian (as well as Ubuntu) to help with solving these little problems that could discourage new users.

I'll close the thread here, please refer to relevant forums for other operating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back