Thanks for all the help!

The hard drive in my laptop was starting to show signs of failing. I used this as an excuse to try a new OS when I replaced it. I have been using Linux systems since 2006, and I have been itching to try another Unix-like for a while now. It seemed like the perfect opportunity.

I'm loving FreeBSD so far, and you awesome people in this forum have helped me out tremendously. Every question that I had has either been answered here or in the Handbook (which is a fantastic resource as well). As I said, I've been using Linux for quite a while now. In that time I have seen lots of working systems be changed for what seemed to me to be no reason. Sure, there are people that benefit from these new systems, but from my perspective it just meant having to re-learn how to do tasks that I was having no trouble with before. I think I'm going to be staying on FreeBSD for quite a while, because, while the OS is being constantly improved, the way you use it seems to be more stable than in the Linux world. I was quite happy to see old friends like ifconfig when I was setting up the system. I have always been a sucker for computer history, and the fact that FreeBSD still keeps to its Unix heritage is a really cool feature to me. I've also been interested in learning more about operating systems, and FreeBSD seems like an easier platform to do that on since (IMHO) the system is better organized and more coherent. Once I sharpen up my C skills (I've been primarily a Python programmer to this point) I hope I can start contributing.

Back