text/curses window manager

screen has always given me problems when running 'make config' on ports. it shows the config screen then blows it away before i can choose any options. tmux doesnt do this. so i recommend tmux.

also, when im using screen and have it split to 2 shells, if theres anything going to stderr in the bottom shell it jumbles it up into the top shell which requires me to detach and reattach the session. ive never had this problem either with tmux.

i like dvtm,
simple and effective.
does what I want within 2 minutes experimentation.
can even use the mouse on a virtual linux machine on putty from windows.
(i'm at work!)

misc/window cannot seem to get on linux.

Is twin in the portstree? I looked, but couldn't find it.

It might be a good choice for people who miss the old days of MS-DOS and Borland's "Turbo" products. :p

ckester said:
Is twin in the portstree? I looked, but couldn't find it.

It might be a good choice for people who miss the old days of MS-DOS and Borland's "Turbo" products. :p

Code:
> cd /usr/ports && make search name=twin
[other stuff trimmed]

Port:   x11/twin
Moved:  
Date:   2003-11-07
Reason: port was broken for >3 months with no fix submitted

I remember fiddling with it a bit a long time ago (4.x?). I'll bet that the console mode doesn't work on FreeBSD, though, if it even compiles.

I've downloaded and compiled successfully twin from sources. It works even from remote ssh session. But it have some hardcoded linux staff. For example it always set TERM=linux and so on. Probably it's possible to fix all those issues but I have no time or interest for this. GNU screen is enough for me.

Thanks, Varda. Maybe I'll put fixing the port of twin on my todo list. But it won't be very high on the list, since (except for dialog boxes like the ones created with cdialog) I've never been keen on the idea of overlapped windows in textmode.

Overlapped windows always seemed to be something that demanded pixel- not character- resolution. In textmode, tiling or screen-switching is the way to go.

fronclynne said:
Code:
> cd /usr/ports && make search name=twin
[other stuff trimmed]

Port:   x11/twin
Moved:  
Date:   2003-11-07
Reason: port was broken for >3 months with no fix submitted

I remember fiddling with it a bit a long time ago (4.x?). I'll bet that the console mode doesn't work on FreeBSD, though, if it even compiles.

I once tried to update it, I don't remember the precise reason, but IIRC the problem is that the program uses the linux mouse API and that the mouse doesn't work ...
I could not be bothered to learn both the FreeBSD and Linux mouse API's just to try this app out so that's where I gave up ;)

There's also another program more or less the same as twin ... But I can't remember the name :-/

You mean Chicago, IL? You're compiling Chicago style?

Carpetsmoker said:
I once tried to update it, I don't remember the precise reason, but IIRC the problem is that the program uses the linux mouse API and that the mouse doesn't work ...
I could not be bothered to learn both the FreeBSD and Linux mouse API's just to try this app out so that's where I gave up ;)

There's also another program more or less the same as twin ... But I can't remember the name :-/

Well, x11-wm/ion is pretty brutally simple. It didn't play nicely with graphics/gimp at all when I tried it (circa 2003, I think), but that may've changed.

Back