Solved Text browser that support images?

For a lot of browser use, eight colors would have been enough. It was the machine lockups that finally convinced me it was pointless. :(

Have a look at the Using the Ports Collection section in the FreeBSD handbook. In brief, to install the ports collection: portsnap fetch extract.

If you have already been installing software with pkg(7), then it would be sensible to switch to using ports for everything to avoid installing packages that are incompatible with each other. The Overview of Software Installation section of the handbook compares the benefits of each method.

I would believe wblock@ regarding the instability of www/links though, so you may be wasting your time.

An easy solution is just to install DOS or Linux on a throwaway machine. I understand that the learning experience is worth the trouble you're going to, but the practical side of me would suggest the quick and permanent solution.

BTW: I used to swear by Arachne in its day and still have it available on my DOS machine which is just a click of the KVM away. However, I'm not a mouse fan, so find that Lynx on 16 bit DOS is a very good solution for speedy internet browsing and actually used that almost exclusively for a couple of months last year.

wblock@, The possible cause of your stability issues, from the Links website:
Links older than 2.6 contains some bugs that can result in writing out of allocated memory if Links is running in graphics mode.

The current user manual also suggests that it should run in higher resolutions with more colours. I'll have to make some time to try it out. Perhaps mbzadegan can tell us how he gets on after he's solved his resolution issues (or not) from Thread svgalib-and-support-more-than-640x480.50564.

Hi,
I don't have any X and I'm working with www/elinks for internet browsing. I tested www/w3m-img but need X!
Is there any browser that support image and run in text mode?
I founded Arachne but it's on Linux and DOS.

In my experience, SVGALIB is not so easy to work with---you have the resolution issues and it seems that for some machines it is not possible to switch back to the console. I don't know what machine you're using or whether or not it would support this, but try: sysutils/jfbterm plus www/w3m-img. It is entirely possible to use w3m to view images without X, but you'll need to do it inside jfbterm. jfbterm also enables you to set up a terminal supporting unicode characters, with for example, textproc/uim, you'll even be able to enter unicode charaters.

Inside jfbterm, you can run sysutils/tmux, so virtually you could have as many instances of w3m as you want; plus, you can easily switch between the graphical jfbterm and the other virtual terminals.

By the way, if on the face of it, your w3m inside jfbterm does not show images, then try moving the cursor around and scrolling the page; that might help.

An easy solution is just to install DOS or Linux on a throwaway machine. I understand that the learning experience is worth the trouble you're going to, but the practical side of me would suggest the quick and permanent solution.

BTW: I used to swear by Arachne in its day and still have it available on my DOS machine which is just a click of the KVM away. However, I'm not a mouse fan, so find that Lynx on 16 bit DOS is a very good solution for speedy internet browsing and actually used that almost exclusively for a couple of months last year.
Which DOS?

Which DOS?
I use MS-DOS 6.22 because I like the shell, but most things will actually run on 2.0 and above. I've collected utilities over the years, many from simtelnet, so I don't actually use what the average office machine had back in the day. I just string utilities together like in UNIX. It's easier that way. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use MS-DOS 6.22 because I like the shell, but most things will actually run on 2.0 and above. I've collected utilities over the years, many from simtelnet, so I don't actually use what the average office machine had back in the day. I just string utilities together like in UNIX. It's easier that way. :)
Heh. Oh what machine does it run on?

Heh. Oh what machine does it run on?
I always assemble my own hardware and in this case I'm using an Asus TXP4 MB with a P133. Actually, here's a profile page. It's not quite up to date, but that's about it. Main change is I got tired of the noise and used an 8GB CF card instead of the Fujitsu HDD.

While I'm on (my favourite topic) lol, this thing runs circles around any other OS when it comes to text. The cursor just flies and all commands are (to a human) rendered instantly. Of course one has to be able to live with things like the IBM 437 code page and the so called 8.3 file names. The latter is easy to overcome as long as one can conceptualize the idea of a 128 bit name. Besides, size is always shown so functionally becomes part of the identity. People who complain about the 8.3 naming convention don't understand computers, or at least refuse to understand DOS. Anyway, I could talk about this for hours. I use this machine for writing and it integrates seamlessly with my other boxen like my FreeBSD main machine.

tldr: Any machine will do, but beyond 133MHz there is no real speed gain because video cards seem to render text slower than video and thus become the bottleneck. DOS is like an old fashioned sports car - no roll up windows, but corners really fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Netsurf can be compiled on FreeBSD to use SDL and if that is compiled to use SVGAlib, you won't need to run X. I run it in 1024/768/ 24 mode, no X. It's truly graphical, and not text running in graphical environ.

Back