Texlive 2009

I installed Texlive 2008 on FreeBSD and it worked perfectly. Now TUG(Tex user group) just released Texlive 2009. However, this time they don't provide binary for FreeBSD, making it difficult to compile and install TL 2009 on FreeBSD. I really think we need Texlive in ports since teTex is very outdated.

http://tug.org/texlive/
Executables for the cygwin and i386-netbsd platforms are now included, while the other BSD distributions have been dropped; we were advised that OpenBSD and FreeBSD users get TEX through their package systems, plus there were difficulties in making binaries that have a chance of working on more than one version.

I notice that OpenBSD has a maintainer (Edd Barrett).

Agree. For example I'm a Kazakhstan user, and I'd like to make my notes in Emacs-muse by Russian language. =) So it would be awesome if some one will port it.

Thanks. I installed TL 2008 last year and it works well, too.
I like the quote~
Originally Posted by Oko
We don't. We are waiting Hiroki Sato to port TeXLive to FreeBSD from 2001 or something like that. In the mean time if you really need to use TeX with BSD you have two options. One is two switch to OpenBSD or more recently to NetBSD. The other one is to use unofficial port of Romain Tartière which is not allowed to ports three because we do not want to hurt Mr. Sato's feelings.

However, TL 2008 has binary for FreeBSD and that's why you were able install it by simply invoking install-tl and so on.

TL 2009 has no binary for FreeBSD. ./install-tl will give you something useless after an hour long "installation"...

vermaden said:

everypot said:
However, TL 2008 has binary for FreeBSD and that's why you were able install it by simply invoking install-tl and so on.

TL 2009 has no binary for FreeBSD. ./install-tl will give you something useless after an hour long "installation"...
Yes, I can read, I know that TeX people do not provide FreeBSD binaries in their 2009 release ;)

I am more curious what 2009 release has that 2008 lacks.

everypot said:

It is not so difficult to build the binaries (except xindy - I did not manage to build xindy so far) from the sources. After that you will depend on `tlmgr' to update your TL2009 installation.

A can give you detailed instructions if you are interested.

vermaden said:
Yes, I can read, I know that TeX people do not provide FreeBSD binaries in their 2009 release ;)

I am more curious what 2009 release has that 2008 lacks.

You can read

http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb30-2/tb95berry-tl.pdf

The most important new thing is that Asymptote is now included in TeXLive. Asymtote is new 3D enhanced version of MetaPost language for creating graphics. Asymtote is object oriented language which offers many advantages for 3D graphics over most other solutions. I am old school so I prefer PostScript and PSTricks over MetaPost when it comes to graphics but Asymtote is one of the most exciting new projects. When it comes to 3D graphics working with Asymtote is slightly easier than with PSTricks-3d package.

mkl222 said:
A lot of new features, newer and more stable XeTeX and LuaTeX, for example.
So what are the new features? XeTeX and LuaTeX are irrelevant for most professional users even though LuaTeX is very interesting project.

http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2009-November/023783.html

Dear TeXLive team,

I created 6 sets of FreeBSD binaries of TeXLive2009, for FreeBSD 6, 7
and 8, each for i386 and amd64:

http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-2009/bin/

As an active FreeBSD contributor/porter -- and a user of TeXLive on
FreeBSD myself -- I offer to maintain all these sets and do test builds
from now on. This maintenance might include producing new sets of
binaries if significant changes occur in software provided by ports
system that TL binaries are linked to.

Besides, I will be glad to cover more FreeBSD versions for these two
archs if a need arises, although this in unlikely at the moment.

I am aware that you received offers for FreeBSD maintainership earlier,
but I hope that my offer will suit you better because of "all-in-one"
approach.

Back