Solved TeX Live 2020 from install script

Hello,

Since the port is outdated I found it more practical to install directly via install-tl script from https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html

I did not test in 2019, but 2017 and 2018 worked well.

I am currently trying to install it again, the same way, but the install ends up with repeated messages: /usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/amd64-freebsd/kpsestat: Undefined symbol "stat@FBSD_1.5"

Does anyone install TeX Live this way too? Any hint how to solve this error?

The port is perhaps outdated because one of the million programs in the package that you very probably do not need is not the latest release.

Plagued by necessary evil -- TeX/LaTeX, to some extend R and TeX Live -- and to my knowledge there's no way around it,
it's better to adhere to available solution, provided in native machine, in our case FreeBSD ports/package.
I've checked the Makefile and related files in the print/texlive-base, and I understand why it stucks in 2015 version.
It's not on port commiter. I don't want to be commiter of such a mess. It think he/she did a good job.
And also I checked the damn texlive website. It's a totall mess. There's no logical way to find your way around, find the source, compare the release notes and so on.

The conculsion is I stick to 2015 version, available in FreeBSD port tree and avoid any unnecessary headache.

The port is perhaps outdated because one of the million programs in the package that you very probably do not need is not the latest release.
Yes, well unfortunately it's very difficult to know exactly which packages will be useful before needing them really...

The conculsion is I stick to 2015 version, available in FreeBSD port tree and avoid any unnecessary headache.
I'd be glad to stick to 2015 version too. I should have told in my first post, maybe, that I need a more up-to-date version. I use TiKZ, in particular, and need some improvements that are not in the 2015 version. In fact, I'd be glad to use something else, but could not find any decent replacement.

"stat@FBSD_1.5" is a FreeBSD 12.x libc symbol, you're running FreeBSD-11x?
Yes, on the server where it's installed, this is still FreeBSD 11.3. I guess you solved the problem: the binaries are certainly made for 12.x, so the server certainly needs to be updated to 12.1. I'm reluctant to do that, but one day I'll have to, so, let's go :)
Many thanks for this valuable hint!!

I've tried on a FreeBSD 12.1 desktop before upgrading the server, and the 2020 TeX Live install succeeded. So I mark this topic "solved".

Do you have so much place in the disk?! What about installing only what you need or may need instead of everything useful?
The installer lets you not install the full scheme, if you wish:

Code:
Select scheme:
===============================================================================
 a [X] full scheme (everything)
 b [ ] medium scheme (small + more packages and languages)
 c [ ] small scheme (basic + xetex, metapost, a few languages)
 d [ ] basic scheme (plain and latex)
 e [ ] minimal scheme (plain only)
 f [ ] ConTeXt scheme
 g [ ] GUST TeX Live scheme
 h [ ] infrastructure-only scheme (no TeX at all)
 i [ ] teTeX scheme (more than medium, but nowhere near full)
 j [ ] custom selection of collections

And after that, tlmgr lets you install the packages you want.

Also, note that the installer officially supports FreeBSD:
Code:
Available platforms:
===============================================================================
   a [ ] Cygwin on Intel x86 (i386-cygwin)
   b [ ] Cygwin on x86_64 (x86_64-cygwin)
   c [ ] MacOSX current (10.13-) on x86_64 (x86_64-darwin)
   d [ ] MacOSX legacy (10.6-) on x86_64 (x86_64-darwinlegacy)
   e [ ] FreeBSD on x86_64 (amd64-freebsd)
   f [ ] FreeBSD on Intel x86 (i386-freebsd)
   g [ ] GNU/Linux on ARM64 (aarch64-linux)
   h [ ] GNU/Linux on ARMv6/RPi (armhf-linux)
   i [ ] GNU/Linux on Intel x86 (i386-linux)
   j [X] GNU/Linux on x86_64 (x86_64-linux)
   k [ ] GNU/Linux on x86_64 with musl (x86_64-linuxmusl)
   l [ ] NetBSD on x86_64 (amd64-netbsd)
   m [ ] NetBSD on Intel x86 (i386-netbsd)
   o [ ] Solaris on Intel x86 (i386-solaris)
   p [ ] Solaris on x86_64 (x86_64-solaris)
   s [ ] Windows (win32)

At the moment the full install scheme makes things much easier for me and with ~7 GB, yes it's huge but still leaves lots of place on a 250 GB disk running mainly a small webserver. This takes time to install and make the jails a bit fat, sure, that's right, but then I'm sure every required package is here and that everything will compile correctly. For more details: I develop a software producing LaTeX documents that are compiled and served as pdf from the (jailed) webserver. And the software is developed on a Linux desktop, where tlmgr cannot be used. No idea why, they "block" it anyhow, to not interfere with the package manager maybe? And it's really difficult to check which packages or collections match which one between Linux and FreeBSD. Not to mention that this changes over time. So at the moment, I stick to full scheme. But at some point I may use a FreeBSD desktop instead of a Linux one and then I'll certainly reduce the size of the install (I'd be able to use the same packages between the desktop and the server). Yet I'll probably have to use tlmgr to get an up-to-date version and finely choose which packages I will install.

I develop a software producing LaTeX documents that are compiled and served as pdf from the (jailed) webserver.

I think, specially when generation is automatic, TeX/plain TeX should be better than LaTeX. Just my opinion. And for figures, you can also generate postscript.

Hi, instead of opening a new question I will ask here: Is texlive 2015 still usable and practical today? I'm new to FreeBSD and I use LaTeX in my daily academic work, so, It is ok if I use the only texlive version aviable in ports? If I use the perl script, how can I install an editor (say Texmaker or Texworks) recognizing the 2020 version of texlive? I've tried with the perl script and installed a clean copy of texlive 2020, but when I tried to install texmaker, it asks for texlive 2015 :( I need to use it and I don't really know how to make it work with texlive 2020 version

Also not knowing where best to start, my question: Had FreeBSD on one or more laptops for a long time and finally trying to make it my main system on a ThinkPad T420, 13.0-RELEASE, Awesome wm. Everything working fine except for this: Almost all what I do depends on Texlive (mostly PDFLatex with TexStudio on Mac or Windows). As the ported texlive is a bit old I install Texlive 2021 from a TUG dvd using the perl install-tl script--works fine. (I've seen in other threads that this is not always encouraged/approved of, but . . .) The Tex editor-front end I prefer is TexWorks, but the lastest port v. 0.62 is unusable (at least on my machine) because of the "moving mouse" problem---moving the mouse selects from where ever it is to the point where the cursor lands. The bug was fixed in texworks v 0.65; the latest version is 0.66. The source is available, but I expect I'd be over my head trying to build it, but I'd try if . Texworks is the only tex editor package or port that doesn't bring in texlive 2015 when installed. Installing TexStudio works but I set the compile options to use texlive 2021 in TexStudio preferences. Will the texworks port be updated anytime soon? And when it is I hope it doesn't also bring in texlive 2015. Really asking for suggestions here. Maybe vim + something is the answer? Thanks

Hi, your question is more about installing TeX related software rather than the TeXLive install from script, you should start a dedicated thread.

• Thanks
Reactions: bga
Back