Solved terminal display diamond with question mark

using i3 with lxterminal and oh-my-zsh set to the default them I get a prompt that looks like
Code:
���  ~
I can't figure out why. I thought it might have to do with unicode but I set my language and my lc_all to use utf-8. I am also attaching an image that hopefully contains some information that might be helpful.
Screenshot_2018-04-10_00-56-04.png

Do You have export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 at the beginning of the ~/.xinitrc file?

Have You tried adding

Code:
:charset=UTF-8:\
:lang=en_US.UTF-8:\

The the default profile in /etc/login.conf? Remember about cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf after making changes and to reboot/relogin.

thanks vermaden. It was me forgetting to do a cap_mkdb on my /etc/login.conf. Well that was embarrassing.

You should not set LC_ALL, it overrules all the other LC_* variables. It's fine to use for testing or for executing something and force a certain locale but it should not be used as a "user" setting.

LC_ALL
This variable determines the values for all locale categories. The value of the LC_ALL environment variable has precedence over any of the other environment variables starting with LC_ (LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME) and the LANG environment variable.
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xbd/envvar.html

You should not set LC_ALL, it overrules all the other LC_* variables. It's fine to use for testing or for executing something and force a certain locale but it should not be used as a "user" setting.

Thanks for that. Will remove that from my zshrc file now.

Back