System sleep/freeze/off after around 30 minutes: FreeBSD 8.2 RELEASE

Hi all,

After around 3 years with various Linux distros, I thought of trying BSD. So installed PCBSD 8.2 and installation was fine. Everything started working nicely.

But then, in around 30 minutes monitor went off (not receiving signal). I don't know the reason and exact state of the system. But even keyboard seems not working (since caps lock stops working).

I searched on Google and tried options like changing drivers from intel-3d to intel, vesa, nouveau. Also tried changing the power management options. ACPI on/off. Changing resolution with vesa. But nothing works.

The only option I am left with is to push the power button. This is really frustrating.

Then I thought, this might be something to do with PCBSD, so I installed FreeBSD 8.2 RELEASE and KDE4 on top of it. But the result is same and more frequent. I reported this problem on PCBSD forum with no luck so far. The post is here: http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?p=87448#post87448

Can anyone tell me the problem? And of course the solution.

Anything in log files? Anything in Xorg.0.log? Why do you think it's KDE-related (given your choice of sub-forum)?

I may be wrong in choosing this forum. But I think it's KDE-related because the reported behaviour started only after I installed KDE on FreeBSD.

Regarding Xorg.0.log: honestly I haven't checked it. Will let you know in next reply.

dbpatankar said:
No its not. Its a desktop.

What hardware You have there? (motherboard/gfx/cpu/...)

Also if its KDE related, may try to disable GRAPHICS EFFECTS in KDE, maybe that is source of Your problem.

dbpatankar said:
No it's not. It's a desktop.

Ooh, mysterious. The specific hardware could be very important to the problem. What motherboard, processor, memory, video card? Has there been any overclocking or other hackery?

wblock said:
Ooh, mysterious. The specific hardware could be very important to the problem. What motherboard, processor, memory, video card? Has there been any overclocking or other hackery?

Here is output from lshw generated using Fedora 13 on the same machine.
(Attachment)

Attachments

• lshw.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 237
DutchDaemon said:
Anything in log files? Anything in Xorg.0.log? Why do you think it's KDE-related (given your choice of sub-forum)?

Attaching both log files (Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old) copied while working on PCBSD.

Attachments

• Xorg.0.logs.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 154
Back