System Settings Login Manager

When I go to System Settings, Advanced, Login Manager, it's all grayed out and I can't figure out how to switch to root to enable Login Manager to use it, or just make it accessible/usable at all

Are hald and dbus running?

Not sure if KDE needs it but for GNOME /proc also needs to be mounted.

Run $ mount and see if this show up:

Code:
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

If not, add this to /etc/fstab:

Code:
procfs			/proc		procfs	rw		0 0

and run # mount procfs.

Then try again.

tankist02 said:
Here is a solution:

Alt-F2
kdesu systemsettings

(type your root password)

Now you can edit the login settings.

I'm using FreeBSD 8.1 release, KDE 4.4.5 and I'm having the same problem with not being able to change any of the options in Login Manager. The above reply does not work for me (nothing shows up after entering the root password).

Sorry for repling to an old post.

problem resists

I have KDE 4.5.4 running on FreeBSD 8.1 from -stable packages. At first I thought it was a policyKit problem, so I changed the permissions, but the problem remains :(

When I try to save the settings for login manager, it gives the folowing message:
Code:
Unable to authenticate/execute the action: DBus Backend error: could not contact the helper. Connection error: Could not get owner of name 
'org.kde.kcontrol.kcmkdm': no such name. Message error: Failed to setup environment correctly (code 7)

I have no idea what it means.

Hi, I'm having the KDE authentication problems too. Well actually I had the exact same error as the post above when running KDE 4.6 (installed via SVN) and when I reinstalled a complete fresh system and just pkg_add KDE 4.5.4, I get no dialogs at all when trying to change a system setting, like in the KDM theme changer. Click to apply, nothing at all happens. All I can do is discard the changes and move on basically.

I'm guessing there is something going on with dbus or console/policykit, but I'm not too sure. I think I read a KDE dev on their forums saying one of the problems is the way the FreeBSD port of KDE installs its dbus files to its own prefix instead of standard /usr/local/etc/dbus, etc..

But if this is the case how come some people have no issues and PC-BSD etc run just fine?

Edit /usr/local/etc/dbus-1/system.conf:

Add:
Code:
  <includedir>/usr/local/kde4/etc/dbus-1/system.d</includedir>
  <servicedir>/usr/local/kde4/share/dbus-1/system-services</servicedir>

Near the bottom around the other includes.

Seems to make it work for me.

I did have:
Code:
<include ignore_missing="yes">system-kde4.conf</include>

But it seems includes from includes don't work?

Back