system is not really having 1080p in WM/DT

when this boots it starts out with ( I forget the actual nomenclature) little font screen booting in uefi mode then quickly switches to the vga mode. then when I boot into a window manager, (especially now that I added lightdm and a bunch of windowmanagers) it definitely does not look like I am getting a true 1080p display in the WM/DT because that window should not be taking up that much space on the desktop and the overall look is just too small. does anyone else see that and how to fix it?

in windowmaker
Screenshot_2023-03-21_09-12-43.png

in xfce4

DT-Screenshot_2023-03-21_08-46-03.png

Do you have appropriate drm kmod loaded?
kldlist to find out. Not sure what it should be for your GPU, but someone should.

Is there anything in /boot/loader.conf like the following:
hw.vga.textmode="1"

What is the native resolution of the monitor?

Do you have appropriate drm kmod loaded?
kldlist to find out. Not sure what it should be for your GPU, but someone should.

Is there anything in /boot/loader.conf like the following:
hw.vga.textmode="1"

What is the native resolution of the monitor?
amdgpu is loaded in the kld_list

1080p is the default size of screen

let me put that hw.vga.textmode=1 in that config and reboot to see what happens.

it didn't do anything really
I'm in Linux now and this is what xfce4 looks like with the same xfce4 settings font size 9 etc. everything is smaller giving more space.
Screenshot_2023-03-21_05-20-16.png

The textmode thing simply means that when you switch virtual consoles, it uses standard text mode instead of any "advanced" console resolution that happens from loading the drm kmod, i wouldn't expect it to make a difference, just checking.
so 1080p is 1920x1080,yes? I just want to verify.

What is the output of "xrandr"? I'm looking for what it says for Screen 0, it will be min, current and max.

The textmode thing simply means that when you switch virtual consoles, it uses standard text mode instead of any "advanced" console resolution that happens from loading the drm kmod, i wouldn't expect it to make a difference, just checking.
so 1080p is 1920x1080,yes? I just want to verify.

What is the output of "xrandr"? I'm looking for what it says for Screen 0, it will be min, current and max.
1920x1080 60.03*+ 60.01 59.97 59.96 59.93

and yes AFAIK 1080p is 1920x1080

I don't want to run anyone is a circle on this - it just looks off to me, as well as I am finding out xterm does not obey cli setting it its size or anyhing which has to be a glitch in whoever compiled it and put it in the pkg system ??? so it opens up fullscreen no matter what in windowmaker. that might be a whole different situation all together.

what is written in here on the boot loader gop set .. command not found wth?
fbsd 13 boot loader
Code:
userx@FreeBeSD:~$ sudo gop set
sudo: gop: command not found

Back