Solved System hangs when shutting down

Hi guys

I have installed yesterday freebsd (still no DE) and noticed than when trying to shutdown from terminal the system hangs. I get the message press any key to reboot and then hangs there with message "Rebooting".

I have tried both halt and shutdown -h now commands with root and other user

Keep in mind that reboot works just fine .

I also have an issue that the system takes some time to boot after restart. It displays the bios splash screen for 5 seconds before deciding to boot. If i power on my pc it is much faster. I dont know if this is related but on arch there was no delay whatsoever so it seems either freebsd has additional processes or checks running or something is causing an issue

Hi guys

I have installed yesterday freebsd (still no DE) and noticed than when trying to shutdown from terminal the system hangs. I get the message press any key to reboot and then hangs there with message "Rebooting".

I have tried both halt and shutdown -h now commands with root and other user

Keep in mind that reboot works just fine .

I also have an issue that the system takes some time to boot after restart. It displays the bios splash screen for 5 seconds before deciding to boot. If i power on my pc it is much faster. I dont know if this is related but on arch there was no delay whatsoever so it seems either freebsd has additional processes or checks running or something is causing an issue
poweroff or shutdown -p now

I get the message press any key to reboot and then hangs there with message "Rebooting".
That is typically some ACPI problem with the interface between FreeBSD operating system and the motherboard BIOS. A search on the web or here on the forum with these search terms and the type of motherboard you have might help.

It displays the bios splash screen for 5 seconds before deciding to boot. If i power on my pc it is much faster.
This is before the operating system takes control, so neither FreeBSD or Linux are involved. Fixing this requires working on the BIOS.

Both halt and shutdown -h now only halt the system, it does not power off. Use halt -p or, preferably, shutdown -p now. See shutdown(8) and halt(8).

I have a Mac mini 2,1 mid-2007 (the second Apple emitted mini with an Intel Core2Duo processor) which fails to reboot via either reboot or shutdown -r now and then hangs after syncing disks and detaching USB peripherals but reboot -q does successfully reboot the system after syncing the disk.

Tested with: FreeBSD 11.2-REL, 11-STABLE, 12.0-REL, 12-STABLE (all i386).

No BIOS to fiddle with for the mini.

Back