System crushed after installing xfce

I just tried to install xfce4, and after a while system just shut itself down. What might be the cause of that?.
Doe's anyone experienced similar problem ?.

Please, define "shut itself down". Kernel panic? Freeze? Power off?

Was the setup complete when the system crashed?

Was Xfce running when it crashed?

Is Xorg properly installed (does it work with, say TWM)?

Have you installed and enabled HAL?

Did you install Thunar's volman extension?

I've had the occasional overheat shutdown on big, parallel compiles, though I wasn't aware of xfce being big. But that's a purely local problem.

Same here, last time my laptop shutdown by itself was a result of overheating (the air flow was blocked under the laptop).
When the kernel is crashing, the computer reboot (afaik).

fronclynne said:
I've had the occasional overheat shutdown on big, parallel compiles, though I wasn't aware of xfce being big. But that's a purely local problem.

That was it, /var/log/messages shows 60 C, but why is that happen, I compiled lots of programs under linux, and it never happened, of course cooling system worked harder and louder, but that was it. In this case I didn't hear anything unusual. That's why I didn't expect overheat.

This machine sometimes "forgets" to spin up the fan (I'm pretty sure it's BIOS related, I can't find any fan-related sysctl "knobs", though I might have to look around for documentation on the whole hw.acpi.thermal.tz* stuff), though if I reboot, it seem to "remember".

The Linux community does seem to have put a lot more time into laptop support, like battery monitoring and fan speed. In that realm, FreeBSD has been catching up (powerd(8) works with my amd64 legstop now!).

Back