System->Administration almost working

In FreeBSD 8.3, Gnome 2.32.1:

I think I've eliminated all the possible bonehead noob moves I might have made in trying to get this system up and running. I returned to a thread I found (on System Administration in Gnome) that referred to a missing comma. The post was in June so I figured that issue had already been resolved. I was wrong.

So, forging ahead where I perhaps should not have, I found the file with the missing comma and added it. Lo and behold the situation improved significantly. The original issue - accessing Users & Groups - was still not possible. Now, however, a dialog box shows up but greyed out. It does not change after five minutes so I assume it's stuck.

I'd greatly appreciate some ideas on where to go next.

Many thanks.

George

ps: I thought I'd posted this earlier but could not find it. If this is a duplicate I apologize. gwb

What a waste of time!!!

In a posting in an Ubuntu forum from 2010 that described the symptoms I observed I read that the behavior (grey screen in Gnome, System, Administration, Users & Groups) is expected because one is not supposed to run users-admin in gnome when logged in as root. I totally agree with the original poster that rather than a stuck, blank grey screen there should be some notice to that effect if indeed it should be run as some other user. I also believe that documentation ought to make this point exceedingly clear. This is not the case here in FreeBSD-land, nor does it appear to be the case elsewhere.

To further investigate I logged in as other than root, only to find that sure, the screen now has useful content and appears to be meaningful. Yet any attempt to modify the only non-root user, i.e., the user as whom I logged in, the system locked up in both 8.3 and 9.0.

I give up. I'd hoped to come up with a useful, non-Windows environment in a virtual machine. FreeBSD is surely an OS for those who already speak the lanquage and need a good server. It does not strike me as sufficiently useful or adequately documented for someone like me. And I'm a long-time alpha geek in the PC & Windows world. I spent 11 years as a CTO for a small college. But there are far too many massive boulders in the middle of my learning curve.

Best wishes to those who remain.

George

Back