sysctl compat.linux.osrelease

Kalero

Hi! According to the FreeBSD handbook, before installing the emulators/linux_base-c6 port/package in order to enable Linux compatibility, you should do

sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18

but, if I am right, the latest emulators/linux_base-c6 port/package is based on a newer Linux kernel (2.6.32?) since it's based on a newer CentOS (6.6?). So, must the compat.linux.osrelease value be updated before installing the port/package? Thanks.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Try not setting it at all and see what version it is now. As far as I know you only have to set it if it's lower. Not sure if it needs to be changed, the port still mentions 2.6.18.

OP
OP
Kalero

Kalero

Try not setting it at all and see what version it is now. As far as I know you only have to set it if it's lower. Not sure if it needs to be changed, the port still mentions 2.6.18.
So, don't I execute the sysctl command before installing the port/package? Will it work?

Patrick Powell

As of FreeBSD 10.3 RC3, the default appears to be compat.linux.oss_version 2.6.32
The LINUX ABI seems to work even if this is used rather then 2.6.18. Perhaps the handbook is out of date?