synth uninstalls itself

I ran "synth upgrade-system" the other day, and have just discovered that as a result of that, synth seems to have uninstalled itself.

I believe that this happened to me a couple of years back.

I am re-installing from the port, but wondering what chain of events could lead to this happening. Does anyone familiar with synth have any thoughts?

Due to the rebuild I had to deal with a conflicting dependency around ncurses, which the synth setup wants from base, but ruby31 (which was already successfully installed) wants from the port. Not sure if that kind of port conflict would trigger this type of uninstall.

Anyone have any thoughts?

but wondering what chain of events could lead to this happening.
Build failure resulting in a missing package, and the system trying to upgrade a dependency which then results in removal of synth.

• Thanks
Reactions: ahw
Build failure resulting in a missing package, and the system trying to upgrade a dependency which then results in removal of synth.
Thanks for that insight.

I should have mentioned in the first post -- the synth run that resulted in the uninstall reported no failures (/var/log/synth/02_failure_list.log is empty).

I suppose I am likely looking for a dependency upgrade that caused this removal that was triggered by something other than a failed build?

I ran "synth upgrade-system" the other day, and have just discovered that as a result of that, synth seems to have uninstalled itself.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Yes. I am experimenting with synth right now. Seems that it is uninstalling a lot of ports without asking. But now, after few trials, I am getting it better. Seems that it is all related to broken dependencies.

Reactions: ahw
Back