Synth, llvm39 "No space left on device"

I just cant build llvm39, in final linkage stage it is complaining me that it is out of disk space.

Code:
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: No space left on device

Since i have a zfs for whole root I just cant figure out what is wrong, I have 35Gb free in zroot pool, since llvm38 compiled fine this should just work... can someone please help me out, maybe where it is putting its temporary files, I have another pool with 17Tb free, and i would like to move its workplace there but i dont know where it resides

You likely ran out of swap space.
Your options are:
  1. increase swap (rec 4x RAM)
  2. turn off tmpfs options (see configure). You could create a second profile for that and build llvm39 with the second profile. That would leave tmpfs benefits for the majority of ports.

Uhhhh... ok, will try but suddenly I understand why my server started to behave strange when I ran the update system :) I cant really increase swap as there is no place to put it (all disks are zfs and not enough free disk space left to create more swap) but i can turn the tmpfs off... thank you for your answer, i hope it will help :)

ports like chromium and newest llvm take like 16G or more. They may even have high ram requirements (e.g. 8G). You've simply got to have space. If you can't allocate appropriate swap space for these huge ports, you can't take advantage of tmpfs.

Uhhhh... ok, will try but suddenly I understand why my server started to behave strange when I ran the update system :) I cant really increase swap as there is no place to put it (all disks are zfs and not enough free disk space left to create more swap) but i can turn the tmpfs off... thank you for your answer, i hope it will help :)

You can still add a swap file: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/adding-swap-space.html

yep, I did "11.12.2. Creating a Swap File" - set it to 30G. I haven't tested it extensively, but so far so good. Limiting the number of builders is known to help too, but as Marino pointed out the machine will still have to deal with the bigger ports. My dedicated Synth builder has only 8G ram, but with 30G + of swap it grunts along and gets through it.

Back