Syntax highlighting for different code

Hi everyone! I think it will be grate to create code blocks with syntax highlighting of bash script, Perl, c/c++, python...

No, that would most-likely destroy readability. And why do you need it? If you understand language, you will understand what's written in forum. If you don't understand language, syntax highlighting won't help.

If you need it so much you can always copy code to your favorite editor

There are other tags available for that, see the Advanced Editor (
HTML:
 and [php]).

killasmurf86, I'm not understand you. Why it will destroy readability? You want to tell me that you use simple gedit or mousepad with out any highlighting?? I agree that it will not help you to learn language, but it really helps you with screening.

I think they use this on the Perl VBulletin forum where I cry for help now and then - proves quite effective for large scripts. On the other hand, it hurts the minimalist look of bare Unix distris... I did not see the
PHP:
 option though, must have been disabled in the meanwhile

Considering that DD has to add code tags so many times a day, I don't think so it will make any difference to noob posting code.

I agree with vivek on this one.

Of course, if somebody who happens to be running a VBulletin board somewhere can implement this, I'm sure we could at least give it a shot.

However, in that case I also think killasmurf's point comes into play. Some people may find it distracting or illegible or they don't like the colors. So you'd need to at least be able to turn this feature on or off in your CP. All in all I think it adds more complexity than you'd think.

And finally, how does such a feature impact (server) performance?

Just some thoughts,

Alphons

VictorM said:
I did not see the
PHP:
 option though, must have been disabled in the meanwhile[/quote]

[url=http://forums.freebsd.org/misc.php?do=bbcode#php][php][/url]

[img]http://forums.freebsd.org/images/editor/php.gif[/img] button in the advanced editor.

Back