synchronously update 3 or more freebsd

I have 3 freebsd copy, installed from image (ex http://snowpenza.ru ). difference is only in password config files (ex. php.ini apache.conf )
How i can update all copys synchronously (ex. portupgrade -ai)?. What soft i need to use?

Well you could use portupgrade to upgrade one of them, and then rsync everything from that one to the others, just use the --exclude option to exclude things like /etc and /usr/local/etc..

brd@ said:
Well you could use portupgrade to upgrade one of them, and then rsync everything from that one to the others, just use the --exclude option to exclude things like /etc and /usr/local/etc..

nice :)
i think it is not good idea.
maybe exist multi ssh or other methods?

IMHO some soft from ports can help:
Code:
ports]# make search key="for executing commands" |egrep "(^Path|^Info)"
Path:   /usr/ports/sysutils/rubygem-capistrano
Info:   A utility for executing commands in parallel on multiple machines
Path:   /usr/ports/sysutils/tentakel
Info:   A program for executing commands on many hosts in parallel

or simple make shell-scripts
Code:
#!/bin/sh
RCMD="sudo whoami ; \
uname -r; \
hostname; \
"

HOSTS="host1 host2 host3"

for HST in ${HOSTS}; do
T=`ssh user@${HST} -C "${RCMD}"`
echo ${T}
done

with ssh-key auth.

When architecures on the host is equally, you can make "portupgrade -L logfile" on the host1, and after that analyse log file for searching update-package execute
Code:
pkg_create -b <package>
and
tranfer .tbz file to other host for extract.

you can build your own packages on one of your 3 machines, then export /usr/ports with NFS to the other ones and use portupgrade -PP to upgrade the other two...

I don't see what's wrong with rsync. It's straightforward and probably the least likely to screw up. You could even do things like rsync to one other machine, and then use the original machine and the one updated machine to update the remaining machines.

Pushrod said:
I don't see what's wrong with rsync.

IMHO, possible to have rarely situation when rsync transfer and overwrite file on the target when file is execute
( for example when i doing "make installworld" in not single mode and on the other parallel session doing something that often execute external file ,i get "core dumped or Segmentation fault" when "make install" job overwriting /lib/libc.so* - most common library )

I suggest experiment. not for production servers ;) like something:
1) copy /lib to /lib-orig and /usr/lib /usr/lib-orig
2) make and execute shell-script with infinity loop of "rsync /lib-orig/* /lib/*"
3) watch by tail -f /var/log/messages for crashed processes ;)

With rsync key "--delete-after" chance for bad behaviour is smaller but without locking anyway is not good. or not ?

I don't see any problem.
I would probably just ssh to those computers one by one and do the update.
Of course you can set something like a cron job and have your bios-clocks synced with a time server.
Or put al three machines in an endless loop while waiting for "DO IT NOW!!!" to appear on a webpage. This way you only have to put a file on some web-location to initiate the updates.

Back