Solved svn or git to maintain ports?

Hello,

I maintain several ports and I use subversion to checkout, update, get status and to make diffs when to update a port.

I'm new to git but I suppose that it can do same jobs as svn.

Should I start using git for ports maintenance?

If positive could I have some links/docs to start with?

Thanks,

Nuno Teixeira

I maintain several ports and I use subversion to checkout, update, get status and to make diffs when to update a port.
You can keep doing this. There is some movement to switch to git but for the time being subversion still works.

I'm new to git but I suppose that it can do same jobs as svn.
They're both version control systems, yes. They work slightly different but the principles remain the same.

Regarding git in general or the specific FreeBSD git for ports/sources?

When it comes to diff patches to update the port the question is what the port committers will prefer. You should ask that question also on the freebsd-ports mailing list.

Should I start using git for ports maintenance?
Again, better ask on freebsd-ports, where the port committers are usually to find.

Regarding the svn servers, the plan is to keep them online read-only for a few years after the migration to Git. The official FreeBSD GitHub mirror (src, ports, doc, etc.) can also be accessed with devel/subversion:

To start with Git, eg., documentation which comes with git-lite, a flavor of devel/git: git(1), gittutorial(7), giteveryday(7).

A comprehensive book to download:

You can still use svn however the earlier you transition to git the better as that's where FreeBSD is headed in the end.
As far as the ports tree goes and patches either using svn or git are fine (and compatible), I've never submitted svn diff's tbh ;-)

Warner Losh AKA bsdimp maintains "Draft FreeBSD Git docs" in the GitHub. You may want to take look at that too, or even participate.

He's also have two blog post on the subjects at his personal blog at bsdimp.blogspot.com:

I will take a look at git documentation and all links sent.

Thanks all for this great info.

Back