"svn diff" ignores newly added directories

Hi all.

I've added two files into a svn repository:

Code:
[CMD]% svn status[/CMD]
A       files
A       files/patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h

files/ is a directory, the other is just a regular file. The problem is when I generate a patch file with svn diff, the generated patch does not contain the files/ directory and it simply ignores this newly added directory. When I try to apply the patch on another working copy, I get the following error:

Code:
[CMD]% patch < /root/qupwork/qupzilla.diff [/CMD]
Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: files/patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h
|===================================================================
|--- files/patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h	(revision 0)
|+++ files/patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h	(working copy)
--------------------------
(Creating file patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h...)
Patching file patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1.
Hmm...  Ignoring the trailing garbage.
done
[CMD]% ls[/CMD]
Makefile					patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h		pkg-descr
distinfo					patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h.orig	pkg-plist

This is the actual patch file: http://codepad.org/HBxvampr

Thanks.

I'm not sure how SVN handles files that are just added but GIT treats them as "staged" meaning they are pending for commit and not normally shown in git diff unless you use the form git diff --staged that will show the differences in pending for commit files. SVN may use a similar mechanism, maybe someone here is more familiar with SVN?

New files and directories are not managed until they are added with svn add. Or create the directories with svn mkdir.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I forgot to mention that I ran svn add over those files. So, they should be managed by svn.

Code:
[CMD]% touch f1[/CMD]
[CMD]% svn status[/CMD]
?       f1
A       files
A       files/patch-src__lib__3rdparty__processinfo.h

f1 is not added yet, so svn shows it as "?" but the two other files are already added and svn shows them as "A". Even with those files already added, the generated patch is still unable to create the files/ directory on another working copy.

Oh ok, your problem is that patch(1) will not create those directories unless you use -p0 to tell it to treat the paths as absolute. Without -p0 it will ignore the files part of the path and looks for the files in the current directory.

patch -p0 </root/qupwork/qupzilla.diff

kpa said:
Oh ok, your problem is that patch(1) will not create those directories unless you use -p0 to tell it to treat the paths as absolute. Without -p0 it will ignore the files part of the path and looks for the files in the current directory.

patch -p0 </root/qupwork/qupzilla.diff

Good point, @kpa :e

Last edited by a moderator:
Back