Support for MIPI DSI screens within FreeBSD

Hello.

We are a team of developers who are working on building a FreeBSD powered smartphone. We bought the mobo QSMP from Karo. Karo support ensured that the LCD driver,which is embedded into the screen assembly, has support by Linux kernel.

The linux kernel provides a driver for a "Techstar ts8550b" display that uses the ST7701 LCD controller chip. Thus, it should not be too hard to get the display working with the QSMP or QSRZ.

Is there some good support for MIPI DSI screens within FBSD that you know ? Is it possible to port it from Linux ? Any consideration is appreciated.

Do you know what's the model of the tablet that he is using ? it is equipped with FreeBSD ! I want to install FreeBSD within a tablet,too ! Especially if it is the Nexus 10.

I have experience with two Qualcomm CPUs with DSI interfaces (MSM8909 and MSM8953).
It's a nightmare make them working even in Linux. Qualcomm doesn't provide any technical support, the vendor (Quectel) tries, but they don't know much either.
In both cases we ended up with configuring DSI for a specific panel in bootloader (U-Boot and Little Kernel). The main kernel cannot handle it properly, and Quectel admitted that in the case of MSM8953 the kernel cannot even display logo, although in the userspace the framebuffer /dev/fb0 is functional after running a small program to map the corresponding memory.
We don't use X Window, just Qt-based GUI: Qt is capable working with Linux and FreeBSD framebuffers directly.

Well, it's hard to estimate with the current setup. It's a commercial product running Qt-based "browser" as a single full-screen application displaying a pretty complex interface where JS continuously gets data from a background program running in dotnet environment.
Here is what I see right now in a BeagleBone Black based system (TI AM3358 (Cortex-A8), 1GHz, 512MB RAM, Debian Linux), the process qt5gui:
Code:
  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                       
17976 xyzxyz    20   0  283672 129264  28084 S 18.8 25.8   4:17.46 qt5gui
And this is a system based on Qualcomm's MSM8909 (1.1GHz 4 core Coretx-A7, 2GB RAM, Debian Linux):
Code:
  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                                  
32043 xyzxyz    20   0  357148 155812  20256 S   6.5  8.1   4:31.46 qt5gui
I've run the same in FreeBSD too, unfortunately don't have such system now.

In both cases we ended up with configuring DSI for a specific panel in bootloader (U-Boot and Little Kernel).
I am back on this quest and you gave me some good clues.
I am finding now that I can go OS route or U-Boot route.
With OS no display until FreeBSD starts up.

Apparently there is video support in U-boot.
Also I am seeing MIPI2 in drm-rockchip on Linux.

Back