Supermicro installation

Hi all,

I found an old Supermicro server blade and was wondering if I could install BSD on the system.
Has anyone tried this before?

Best regards,
Kris

Supermicro servers, in general, work really well with FreeBSD. Just look up the make/model on their website.

Thanks, I'm having some difficulties finding the model since the it's more than 10 years old.
I'm not sure what kind of HW is used but it seems that it uses some legacy XEON processor, 1GB of memory and 2x 200GB HDD.

Depending on the SuperMicro model the blade may need a special chassis to accommodate the power connection.
Blades usually use an edge mounted power connector. Non-standard position.

Are you sure you don't have a FatTwin? This was a long skinny motherboard mounted side sy side in one rack chassis.

I have a Supermicro X8DT3, bought it used off of eBay. Works great on FreeBSD 13.1. Using it as a web server. Installation was quick and simple, similar to desktop installation.

I have a Supermicro X8DT3
Similar board, X8DT3-LN4F. Works fine, using it as a "virtual machine" host with bhyve(8). Second hand from eBay too. Transplanted two CPUs, 48GB memory and some LSI cards from an old surplus server. Added another set of 48GB (from eBay too) cheaply.

Back