SunBlade 100 7.2-RELEASE works but no freebsd-upgrade?

I have successfully built my SunBlade 100 with FreeBSD 7.2-Release, and successfully built my own kernel.

uname -a : gives >>

Code:
FreeBSD sun.somebody.ca 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Wed Feb 10 23:10:20 EST 2010     [email]root@sun.somebody.ca[/email]:/usr/obj
/usr/src/sys/MY_FIRST_SUN  sparc64

However, when trying to run a

Code:
freebsd-update fetch install

it always fails with :
Code:
sun# freebsd-update fetch install
Looking up update.freebsd.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update2.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching public key from update5.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

All ports are open (FTP/HTTP(s)/SSH) to obtain any code (I control the firewall)...however, is freebsd-update supported for sparc64???

-stoomaroo

I guess google doesn't search this forum...

I spent a couple hours on google trying to find that answer...so I joined here looking.

Oh well, next time I hope...

Well in that case...how are sparc64 kernel updates propagated? always re-building the kernel?

-stoomaroo

Just get the sources and rebuild OS and kernel. The Handbook has more. Check out csup(1) for getting the sources, /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ for examples, and /usr/src/Makefile (the '11 steps') for rebuilding OS and kernel.

stoomaroo said:
I spent a couple hours on google trying to find that answer...so I joined here looking.

Oh well, next time I hope...

Really? All posts to this forum are actively pushed out to Google within seconds. Searching for 'freebsd-update sparc64' shows the aforementioned topic (and this one).

Assuming...

I imagine this 11-step assumes a successful [CMD=]csup[/CMD] (done), [CMD=]portsnap fetch update[/CMD] (done), and documentation set update (done).

So far - so good. Now back to the sparc64 limitation:

The handbook says (section 24.2):

...Patches had to be applied to the source code, the code rebuilt into binaries, and then the binaries had to be re-installed.

This is no longer the case as FreeBSD now includes a utility simply called freebsd-update.

As [CMD=] freebsd-update [/CMD]is not supported on sparc64, is it safe to say that the 11 steps exist due to this lack of support? Or is the [CMD=]freebsd-update [/CMD] only covering the [CMD=]csup[/CMD] and the [CMD=]make buildworld[/CMD], etc... ?

Just an arcane knowledge question, besides practising /Quote & /CMD

-stoomaroo

Ehm, no, you have the time order backwards there.

Building FreeBSD from sources has been around since .. FreeBSD was around, whereas freebsd-update (which does no compiling at all, so no csup or make buildworld, it's just a way to synchronise your binaries (and additionally, source code and such) with those of a newer FreeBSD version) was invented much later (it was in the ports tree first, and became a base system tool in FreeBSD 6.2).

So using /usr/src/Makefile is the original way of upgrading your system, and in the case of non-i386/amd64 installations, still the only way.

Cron-ning the 11?

in the case of non-i386/amd64 installations, still the only way.

So for a sparc64, could these magic "11" (a definite bookmarking on that post) essentially be strung together in say, a [CMD=""]cron[/CMD] job to be run together at 2am, example?

Or is it bad practice to run something of this sort in that manner?

-stoomaroo

No, no, no.

Don't ever try to run a system upgrade from sources (or any system upgrade for that matter) unattended, and certainly don't do it every day. Even an upgrade junkie like me will not do that more than once a month, usually less. And I'm tracking -STABLE, where there is some development going on, so there is at least some reason to even upgrade. If you're running -RELEASE, only important security updates warrant a recompile.

Compiling an entire operating system takes (depending on your hardware) hours and totally monopolises your system. You'll need to reboot twice in the process, and things can go wrong along the way.

It's fine to update your sources (i.e. only the csup part) from cron, but 'making' the world and the kernel, installing them, and running 'mergemaster' is nothing to underestimate.

And to be honest (and blunt), seeing how you are feeling your way round this subject and its concepts, I don't think you're even remotely equipped to try it right now ... I can see bullets in feet from a mile away. No offense!

You may get lucky and it may just work the first time (like it did with your custom kernel), but if you have no idea what to do if your new kernel refuses to boot, or if the power cuts out halfway during the kernel/world installation and you wind up with (nicely put) a 'hybrid system', I'd advise against doing this right now, unless this is a 'toy box' that you don't mind reinstalling when it all goes haywire.

In that case: learn while trying, and be prepared for some long hours and the north face of Mt. Learning Curve ;)

Toy box >> it is!

The fires of hell could fall upon this machine and completely eviscerate all hope of resurrection.

No offense taken, at all. Although I have an i386 & an amd64 lying around, the junk-ish sparc64 seemed the best machine to be "bricked" in case of failure. Left over hardware from work always seemed ideal. If I can get a customized kernel (ok, so far), SSH to it through my firewall (ok, so far), and on a semi-regular security update schedule (subscribing to the FreeBSD-security newsletter seems to be best)...then I'm happy to learn from scratch.

I expect to blow this thing up, but having bruned a couple of dozen hours so far...I'm pretty happy with the results.

I don't expect to be a pro...ever. The possibilities here seem endless at the moment though, and will hopefully drag me through the mundane affairs of watching kernel compile & scroll by.

Once I have a plan for how to get this little beast built/running and regularly updated then I suppose I'll infect some other discussion forum about the specific applications.

At the moment though, this is entirely an educational/hobbyist/pleasurable affair.

many regards,
-stoomaroo

Done!

Outstanding - built!...and 5-6 hours later, the 11 step-program is finished.

[CMD="uname"] -a[/CMD] gives:

Code:
 FreeBSD sun.somebody.ca 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 22 19:02:14 EST 2010     stoomaroo@sun.somebody.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MY_FIRST_SUN  sparc64

....now about finding a package to break it with! :)

-stoomaroo

Good. If you want to stay on 7.2-RELEASE plus security updates, use the CVS tag RELENG_7_2 and you should be set. If you want to hop on to 7.3-RELEASE when it arrives, change it to RELENG_7_3. Watch your daily/weekly csup output and you'll see when updates are available.

Back