Suggestions and (little) complaints

Hi, Honestly I am suffering. I like BSD a lot. It is the only OS running stable on my PC together with the Slackware and Fedora.The only trouble is the post configuration Xorg of FreeBSD.I always end up on 3 X-term windows, which are total mysterie to me.
So I turn to PC-BSD, which is a great and easy system.
Thing is, PC-BSD is KDE, while I like using other wm's.
Also I do not succeed anymore installing Kompozer using ports. I'm forced to use PBI.
I am aware FreeBSD is meant for server use.
But why not providing the home user with a simple installer for FreeBSD? look at PC-BSD how easy it can be.What a pity PC-BSD just concentrates on KDE...

Also it is a total mysterie to me who took the decision to use an experimental not working USB system in a stable release? USB is essential these days.Finding a PS2 mouse took me a while. It is all USB now!

But besides these remarks, BSD is the best OS in the world.

ToranK said:
The only trouble is the post configuration Xorg of FreeBSD.I always end up on 3 X-term windows, which are total mysterie to me.
With green decoration?

You might find the the handbook useful.

ToranK said:
Thing is, PC-BSD is KDE, while I like using other wm's.
Then use FreeBSD and install any DE/WM you want.

ToranK said:
Also it is a total mysterie to me who took the decision to use an experimental not working USB system in a stable release? USB is essential these days.Finding a PS2 mouse took me a while. It is all USB now!
The USB system is quite stable AFAIK. And it's better than the old one. Are you encountering any specific problem?

If you have running PC-BSD and want to install FBSD on the same machine copy xorg.conf so you can simply put that into FBSD X11 folder. It saves some time of post-install configuration.

You can install any app you want, even window manager, on PC-BSD and login to it with kdm.
Also PC-BSD has fluxbox wm installed (logout of kde and login to fluxbox).

To be honest, I use PC-BSD on a server (desktop edition) because it took me about 30 min to install it and configure (this server is more a desktop machine). But due to little resources I use FBSD with openbox on my netbook :D

ToranK said:
The only trouble is the post configuration Xorg of FreeBSD.I always end up on 3 X-term windows, which are total mysterie to me.
How do you start X? If use the startx command X will automatically use twm as the window manager unless you've told it to do otherwise in your xinitrc file. To make X use another wm/de you'll have to either use a display manager like kdm or gdm or specify in your xinitrc file what windows manager you want to use. For instance if you want to use dwm your xinitrc should look like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
exec dwm
For more information on how to configure your xinitrc file check this link. If you want to use a display manager read link Beastie gave you.

EDIT: I've just figured out this thread is a bit old. Sorry for bumping it :(

Back