Solved Stuck booting 13.0-RELEASE because of /boot/loader.conf

Dears,
I am stuck the same way as joplass in this topic. The difference is that I am less experienced and less knowledgeable. I have followed SirDice's advice (in this topic) on importing zroot with the -R flag to an alternate mountpoint under /tmp/somename, but I do not see the /boot directory there. It is not contained in the EFI partition, either.

At the moment, I cannot boot the computer. Would someone be kind enough to tell me how I can, with the USB stick, get to the /boot directory of the old system to edit loader.conf?

It would appear that importing it was not enough. I also needed to manually zfs mount zroot/root/DEFAULT to gain access to the file system. Maybe one of these moments I will get the computer booted again.

You probably should post a picture of the screen showing where you are stuck. Someone here will put you on the right path.

Can you get to single mode login? If you can't then, I did something like this the last time. From your USB pick live session, at the prompt, gpart show -l to see where your installation drive is then mount it to /mnt. After that you can navigate to your files and modify them at will.

i.e. to change rc.conf

cd /mnt/etcthen ee rc.conf

Thank you for this advice. I could not mount the installation drive because it was a zfs pool. I could import the pool but I would not have access to the root file system, until I explicitly mounted it.

And as a cherry on top of the pie, I was frustadedly unable to mount anything at all because the live system kept saying that everything was read only, no place to mount anything. SirDice's advice on mounting to /tmp instead of /mnt (I was trying to mount to /mnt), finally gave me the ability to mount the file system and edit loader.conf and get the system booting.

So, that was solved. Just not the upgrade, seeing as it kept telling me to rebuild every port I had and would not let me get past curl, even after uninstalling it, so I simply made a fresh install.

Back