stuck at welcome to freebsd.

I am getting same error. I have rx580
Create a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver     "nvidia"
EndSection

If you still have problems please install misc/pastebinit and run cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit and post the URL here.
I am getting same error. I have rx580.
And have you pressed tab on 2nd and 3rd line? Also do i have to write Device or replace it with my device name?

That's an ATI/AMD card, not an NVidia card, so why are you enabling the NVidia driver?
I havent done anything yet. I have just installed xorg, dwm, st, dmenu, vim, doas iirc. I havent changed any settings yet (havent added dwm in xinit).
But when i do startx, i get the same error of framebuffer.

Did you install graphics/drm-kmod? Did you load the correct kernel module?
I did this
"
  • Install the drm-kmod package
    • $ sudo pkg install drm-kmod
  • Take note of the post-install package message from drm-fbsd<version>-kmod as it contains important information - specifically add this to your /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.d/amd file:
    • kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"
  • Ensure that your UID is a member of the "video" group.
  • Restart your system; you should see the amdgpu.ko get loaded and a flash on your console as we switch over to the new display driver.
  • Start Xorg via your usual method (i.e. startx, GDM, etc.)"
And this
"
It is important to note that there is currently a conflict with both AMD drivers and the EFI frame buffer. The current workaround, when booting via UEFI on these systems, is to disable the frame buffer via /boot/loader.conf:

hw.syscons.disable=1"

Now after reboot, i am stuck at welcome to freebsd screen.

How I configure Radeon ATI graphics on FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE-p3 for my Lenovo Laptop G50-45 integrated AMD APU, described as:

AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics
  1. Remove all files from /etc/X11/ and /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directories.
  2. Put my user in the wheel and operator group, or, alternatively, in the video group only.
  3. pkg install drm-kmod xf86-video-ati.
  4. Explicitly do not put any radeonkms, i915kms, or amdgpu directives in kld_list, /etc/rc.conf, or /boot/loader.conf.
  5. Start X windows.
The machine starts in framebuffer mode for as long as the machine remains in text mode, but at the time when X windows switches to graphics mode, it switches out of framebuffer mode and the radeon driver loads the radeonkms driver. This all gets reported in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

This works for this particular, older, integrated AMD APU chipset. If it didn't work on some other newer AMD Radeon chipset, I'd next try removing xf86-video-ati and install xf86-video-amdgpu in its place, then try again to restart graphics after rebooting.

I installed freebsd 13 release amd64 and also xorg. after entering the command startx, i was getting framebuffer error. So i followed the following guide:
"

• Install the drm-kmodpackage
    • $ sudo pkg install drm-kmod
  • Take note of the post-install package message from drm-fbsd<version>-kmod as it contains important information - specifically add this to your /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.d/amd file:
  • Ensure that your UID is a member of the "video" group.
  • Restart your system; you should see the amdgpu.ko get loaded and a flash on your console as we switch over to the new display driver.
  • Start Xorg via your usual method (i.e. startx, GDM, etc.)"
And this
"
It is important to note that there is currently a conflict with both AMD drivers and the EFI frame buffer. The current workaround, when booting via UEFI on these systems, is to disable the frame buffer via /boot/loader.conf:

hw.syscons.disable=1"

Now after reboot, i am stuck at welcome to freebsd screen.

i am stuck at welcome to freebsd screen.
You don't say whether you use ZFS or UFS. In case of UFS, use your install medium to boot and when bsdinstall shows up, choose 'Live CD'. Login as root without password. Then mount your root partition with something like mount -t ufs /dev/ada0p2 /mnt. Use ee or vi to edit your (then) /mnt/boot/loader.conf. Please not that errors in /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.conf may lead to boot problems too.

hw.syscons.disable=1"
No need for that on FreeBSD 13-RELEASE. I had to do that on earlier versions for my Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB. Comment out that line in /boot/loader.conf. ZFS or UFS don't really matter when dealing with a GPU driver. I worked with both, so I would know.

eternal_noob : OP's GPU is RX 580, an AMD card (too new to be ATI).

Now, there was a fantastic post on these forums from 2017 that just disappeared, so I only have my own notes from February 2020 to go by. And that saved me more than a few times, and yes, it's related to proper booting when I mess up loading the GPU driver (and my filesystem is in fact ZFS. For UFS, it's different)

1. Boot install stick. Start the shell, not the installer. In that shell, issue the following commands:
  2. # zpool list Show your datasets
  3. # gpart show Find the slice called freebsd-zfs, you'll need it later.
  4. # mkdir /tmp/mydata temporary mountpoint for your filesystem
  5. # zpool import -fa -R /tmp/mydata
  6. # zpool mount zroot/ROOT/default From step 1, hopefully it's actually 'zroot'.
  7. # cd /tmp/mydata/boot Steps 5 and 6, recognize anything?
  8. # vi loader.conf Edit your loader.conf. Yes, you're stuck using vi, but that's unix for you.
This was my post number 666! Mua, haa, haa!

No need for that on FreeBSD 13-RELEASE. I had to do that on earlier versions for my Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB. Comment out that line in /boot/loader.conf. ZFS or UFS don't really matter when dealing with a GPU driver. I worked with both, so I would know.

eternal_noob : OP's GPU is RX 580, an AMD card (too new to be ATI).

Now, there was a fantastic post on these forums from 2017 that just disappeared, so I only have my own notes from February 2020 to go by. And that saved me more than a few times, and yes, it's related to proper booting when I mess up loading the GPU driver (and my filesystem is in fact ZFS. For UFS, it's different)

1. Boot install stick. Start the shell, not the installer. In that shell, issue the following commands:
  2. # zpool list Show your datasets
  3. # gpart show Find the slice called freebsd-zfs, you'll need it later.
  4. # mkdir /tmp/mydata temporary mountpoint for your filesystem
  5. # zpool import -fa -R /tmp/mydata
  6. # zpool mount zroot/ROOT/default From step 1, hopefully it's actually 'zroot'.
  7. # cd /tmp/mydata/boot Steps 5 and 6, recognize anything?
  8. # vi loader.conf Edit your loader.conf. Yes, you're stuck using vi, but that's unix for you.
This was my post number 666! Mua, haa, haa!
Thank you but as i said above, i have already fixed this issue. The only problem i have is when i do startx, i get framebuffer busid error. I have downloaded the dmk pkg.

Run cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and post the URL here.

Code:
[    60.574] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    60.574] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
[    60.574] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
Remove any configuration you've done for Xorg.

Code:
[    60.574] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    60.574] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
[    60.574] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
Remove any configuration you've done for Xorg.
i have done just this
"your /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.d/amd file:
But this is not xorg config right?

Back