stty erase ^? doesn't work

I'm trying to use
Code:
stty erase "^?"
to change the behavior of the delete key.
Both Backspace and Del are working as backspace, and I find this quite annoying.
But, after executing stty as written above, I just get a backspace command that prints "^H" instead that "^h", and a del key that acts as backspace. If I use csh instead of bash, simply nothing happens. What can I do?

stty doesn't work. Either bind. If I try to set something, the only thing I succeed in is corrupting backspace.

Beastie said:
For csh, add bindkey ^[[3~ delete-char to .cshrc.

It doesn't work. My shell (bash, csh, whatever) refuses to bind anything else than ^H to delete key.

wblock said:
Oops--I meant to say "Delete key generates" above, about Terminal. What terminal are you using?

None. I'm using real ttys, I've not installed X.

krnlpk said:
I'm trying to use
Code:
stty erase "^?"
to change the behavior of the delete key.
Both Backspace and Del are working as backspace, and I find this quite annoying.
But, after executing stty as written above, I just get a backspace command that prints "^H" instead that "^h", and a del key that acts as backspace. If I use csh instead of bash, simply nothing happens. What can I do?

Firstly, if you currently have multiple keys working as backspace, what makes you think setting another (or resetting one of the existing keys) will stop one or other from being backspace? Maybe it will, I dont have mutiple keys working as backspace to test against but not convinced.
Secondly, are you using the carrot key "^" when you enter the stty erase command? This needs to be entered not using the carrot key as you find it on they keyboard, but simply by pressing the backspace or whichever key you want. You may have to first type Ctrl+v then type the key you are after, Ctrl+v escapes special keys.
IE on one of my systems backspace is "^?", which is written in a terminal window if I first type Ctrl+v then backspace...

thanks Andy.

Even if I try to use ctrl-v, every tentative to set an alternative behavior to del key fails.

Remove the quotes.

# stty erase ^?

Instead of typing shift-6 (on a US keyboard) and ? press the backspace key.

Works as it should. But you should not need to change it. It's set correctly by default. Same for home and end keys.

SirDice said:
Remove the quotes.

# stty erase ^?

Instead of typing shift-6 (on a US keyboard) and ? press the backspace key.

Works as it should. But you should not need to change it. It's set correctly by default. Same for home and end keys.

I've already done it, it just do nothing!
When I press backspace I expect that the character on the left of the cursor will be deleted, and the right one when I press Del. In both cases, the left char is the one to be deleted, even if I try to set other values for erase or erase2, the only results I managed to get are a corrupted backspace key and a delete key that works as before.
I don't know why, nobody of you have ever get this behavior before?

The delete key doesn't do what you expect it to do. In traditional unix the delete key acted as backspace (backspace didn't exist).

Learn to use ctrl-d.

SirDice said:
The delete key doesn't do what you expect it to do. In traditional unix the delete key acted as backspace (backspace didn't exist).

Learn to use ctrl-d.

So, there's no way to change its behavior?

SirDice said:
Beastie's solution seems to work. At least for tcsh.
I've already tried it but it haven't worked for me. Thanks a lot to everybody for the patience :)

I stumbled across this old post because of a similar problem I had running "mg" and "Emacs" in terminals /dev/ttyvXX (not in X), where the Backspace was not doing its job.

I add stuff here for reference to people how may find a similar issue in future.

0] run tty to understand the kind of terminal you are using.
If you are our of X most probably you are dealing with "virtual terminals" so
in output you will see a file with a name like /dev/ttyvXX. The description below applies only in this case.

1] Analyze the keycode you are receiving from the keyboard with kbdscan. This is as helpful as xev in X !

2] Forget kbdcontrol, that is for the system console only, not virtual termianals.

3] If necessay, tell explicitely in /etc/rc.conf the keymap you are using, .e.g
Code:
keymap="us"
that refers to the file /usr/share/vt/keymaps/us.kbd.

4] Modify e.g. /usr/share/vt/keymaps/us.kbd to what you want and check if it is working with kbdmap; toggle the selected keyaboard in and out of your modified map to force the keymap changes to be loaded.

5] You may use this trivial script to see what ascii codes are arriving to your
shell
Code:
ruby24 -e 'require "io/console"; c = STDIN.getch; puts "ascii #{c.ord} --- char #{c}" '

6] Once you know:
--] the keyboad signal code arriving
--] the keymap used for translation: keyboardCode --> asciiCode
--] the ascii code arriving to your shell after translation
=> You are ready to take actions.

In my case I needed to configure "mg" because Backspace and the "mg"
sequence "C-h" were bound to the same ascii code and "C-h" (mg help function was taking precedence).

Back