Stream playing non stop

Good afternoon,

To start with I did not know exactly where to post this.

A few days ago I streamed a radio station via firerox but now the last song keeps playing non stop. I have tried everything under the sun to try and turn off the song: reset firefox, reboot/shutdown the computer. Nothing shows up in htop as playing the song. When the computer starts the song starts to play.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Sorry. My issue is not quite solved. Every time I turn on the machine as it's booting, the same stream is playing. I have to use the above command, the entire user session restart and, only then the stream stops.

Thanks

killall -u "username"
Either this post is an elaborate troll, or you are using a bit of a heavy hammer. Why not just press the power button?

OK, now serious: There must be better ways to find out what process is doing this. Have you tried a better tool than htop? Like for example run ps -auxww a few times, many seconds apart, then see what processes have used CPU time? Then correlate it with what processes are using network bandwidth? Then look at the parent of those processes?

Is playback from an inadvertently pinned tab?
I did not pin any tab on the browser but I will double-check. I am not home right now. I have this mystery, I played the stream on firefox. When the stream plays now, firefox is not running and htop does not show any musical application in use. One thing I forgot to try is to clear the firefox cache. Although that is far fetch, I will give it a go. I also noticed a firefox upgrade with a bunch of updates last night maybe something has changed.

Really annoying.

Is sndiod running? Does the sound stop playing and then restart if you stop and then start the service?

# service sndiod status
# service sndiod stop
# service sndiod start

The bottom of the sound wiki has a section on Reporting Bugs that gives some commands to run to collect information. With the sound playing, run those and post the output.

# uname -a
# cat /dev/sndstat
# mixer
# sysctl hw.snd
# sysctl dev.pcm

Reboot, select option 5 at the boot menu to enable verbose messages, then grep for sound-related messages.

# dmesg | grep 'pcm[0-9]'

I think I solved my dilemma. I cleared the firefox cache that did not help. Then I thought about deleting /home altogether. While I was pondering on the later, I decided to delete .mozilla then rebooted the machine. So far the stream is not playing.

Thanks to all who chipped in.

Is sndiod running? Does the sound stop playing and then restart if you stop and then start the service?

# service sndiod status
# service sndiod stop
# service sndiod start

The bottom of the sound wiki has a section on Reporting Bugs that gives some commands to run to collect information. With the sound playing, run those and post the output.

# uname -a
# cat /dev/sndstat
# mixer
# sysctl hw.snd
# sysctl dev.pcm

Reboot, select option 5 at the boot menu to enable verbose messages, then grep for sound-related messages.

# dmesg | grep 'pcm[0-9]'
Thanks Neubert, I saw your post after I posted the previous reply.

... I decided to delete .mozilla then rebooted the machine. So far the stream is not playing.
That's another extremely heavy hammer. So now we know the music was coming from some web browser related task ... but we knew that beforehand too.

I guess it's too late now to actually debug it.

Thanks. I see nothing extraordinary about the site, for example:
1626029727850.png

A wild guess, did you previously have an extension through which Firefox interacted with a separate application?

Here, for example:

Code:
% ls -hl ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/open*
-rw-r--r--  1 grahamperrin  grahamperrin   217B  1 Feb  2020 /home/grahamperrin/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/open_with.json
%

Back