Strange security situation with KDE

As a normal user under KDE I am able to edit a file I should not be able to

The file:
Code:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  16 Sep 10 23:01 /root/test.sh

I have checked that kate/kwrite/dolphin, etc is running under my user, not root.

I am in wheel group (and operator) so seeing the file is ok, but why am I able to write to it?

If I try from konsole (pico) it gives the expected permission denied error. but "user@host:/root % kate test.sh" allows me to save.

How is this possible?

Environment: FreeBSD 13.1 KDE5 and xorg installed from pkg quarterly.

This is such a major security hole that I assume it's expected behavior that I don't know about because I'm new to using FreeBSD as a desktop.

but "user@host:/root % kate test.sh" allows me to save.
That is unlikely, filesystem permissions trump whatever kate is doing. Unless somebody added the SUID bit to the executable (that's a bad idea).

Code:
user@host:/root % ll /usr/local/bin/kate
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1202912 Sep  4 17:46 /usr/local/bin/kate*

Terminal in kate (editing the file)
Code:
user@host:/root % whoami
user
user@host:/root % id
uid=1001(user) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel),5(operator)

Could you have stored the privileges for the session previously?
Possibly? I've never intentionally run a different command like sudoedit, but if it prompted me to override permissions or something I may have said yes at some point. Is there an easy way to check this?

Found the problem.

Code:
Create this file /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/rules-d/40-wheel-group.rules with this content:

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (subject.isInGroup("wheel")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});
From this tutorial: https://community.kde.org/FreeBSD/Setup

Sorry, I don't follow how that relates to kate obtaining root credentials when saving a file? Is polkit essentially a sudo replacement?

Can you or someone explain?

Back