Strange message when upgrading the system

I had a version:
freebsd-version
14.0-RELEASE-p7

But:
freebsd-update fetch

WARNING: FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p6 is approaching its End-of-Life date.
It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer
release within the next 2 months.

Why?

14.0-RELEASE will be EoL on September 30, 2024; 3 months after the release of 14.1-RELEASE.

Only the last minor version of a major branch is supported. The previous minor version is EoL three months after the release of a new minor version.

But before the upgrade I had version p7. Now is p8. Why in my case is there a message about version p6 when upgrading?

Why in my case is there a message about version p6 when upgrading?
You're right, I find the message a bit misleading.

The 14.0-RELEASE branch is approaching EOL so after September 30 there won't be any more pN, pN+1 etc. versions

You need to upgrade to 14.1-RELEASE before that date.

I think the message should warn about 14.0-RELEASE approaching EOL, not 14.0-RELEASE-p6.

But before the upgrade I had version p7. Now is p8. Why in my case is there a message about version p6 when upgrading?
Try freebsd-version -kru
Erichans said it all, the output of freebsd-version -kru is what we should refer to, in your message #1 you used it without options which is equivalent to freebsd-version -u.
The kernel is still on p6 because it isn't affected by the patch level p7 and p8 but the userland is, that explains why they don't show the same thing.

I think the message should warn about 14.0-RELEASE approaching EOL, not 14.0-RELEASE-p6.
Whether the system is on 14.0-RELEASE-p1 or 14.0-RELEASE-p8 once 2024.October comes it'll be outdated, in the end I am not sure if saying 14.0-RELEASE or 14.0-RELEASE-pN changes anything, in both cases one must upgrade anyway.

Back