Solved Strange GPU related problem

Hello!

I need your help to find out the cause of the problem. It looks like some kind of hardware incompatibility. But what it is?

I have one, otherwise perfectly good, desktop machine with AMD A8-6500B CPU and integrated graphics. I got my MATE GUI and all desktop applications running without any problems.

But when I start multimedia/minitube the system restarts randomly after some time of video playing. No errors in logs, no nothing. If I do not start the video, everything is OK and it can run days under heavy load. Replaced memory modules and also the whole computer box with identical motherboard and cpu. The problem remains the same. It looks like the power is cut off and system restarts.

Upgraded the system from 12.1 to 12.2, but the problem remained the same. Seems some kind of hardware incompatibility.

Then, after that, I replaced the on-board graphics with discrete RX550 card and switched off the integrated graphics. After that it got much better - does not restart any more when playing videos, but the video randomly halts for a second when playing. The same RX550 board in the same network but with slightly slower CPU and different motherboard model works fine without interruptions.

What it might be? It is easy to say the motherboard, but this is too broad description. Is there any place to look in to find out the problem?

Did you build graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod from ports? Assuming you use the DRM kernel modules of course. The packages are still being built for 12.1 and this particular package causes problems on 12.2.
Yes I did. But it caused problems also with 12.1. Another computer is also with 12.2 and the same drm, but has no problems. The motherboard is different of course.

But yes, when the new drm is available, I will try this as a first thing.

Another thing is that after system update the drm did not start. I deleted the port and rebuilt with new kernel. Then it started and works fine except that video issue.

Marked this thread solved. After DRM upgrade, my FreeBSD TV set is working. Playing videos from YouTube, using multimedia/minitube, new graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod and AMD RX550 hardware. :cool:
Must add to this topic that after all of that it got better, but not completely OK. Then suddenly the revelation fell on me and I checked the bge(). It states that
Code:
hw.bge.allow_asf
         Allow the ASF feature for cooperating with    IPMI.  Can cause sys-
         tem lockup    problems on a small number of systems.    Enabled    by de-
         fault.
Looks like that I have one of that small number of systems. So, I put hw.bge.allow_asf=0 into my /boot/loader.conf and now even my worst case scenario looks good.

Good to know. Took a long time and required a revelation.

Back