Solved Strange checkerboard screensaver after a time

I am getting a checkered pattern screensaver after roughly 30 minutes in XFCE. There are no screensaver related settings that I can see in the settings menu.

pkg info | grep screensaver and the like return nothing. I have also used xset -dpms and xset s noblank with no effect. What is actually going on here?

That had no effect unfortunately. Adding this to ServerFlags section in xorg.conf seems to have fixed it:
Code:
  Option "BlankTime" "0"
  Option "StandbyTime" "0"
  Option "SuspendTime" "0"
  Option "OffTime" "0"

Why I would have to configure xorg.conf to effect a screensaver I have no idea. It's a different forced screensaver situation every time with FreeBSD. The first time there was some KDE bug that forced it on always until I made an obscure edit, next time I needed to use xset -dpms, next time KDE auto managed DPMS through system settings, and now this. I say power saving and screensavers should default to off since there are not many screens commonly used for computers with burn-in problems.

Another entry should appear under Settings when one of the xscreensaver ports has been installed. Or, if you don't plan to use a screen saver, just don't install those ports. They are not required by Xfce.

Somehow those lines I added did fix the problem. The screensaver pattern I was seeing is apparently an xorg thing. Marking as solved.

Back