Other Strange behaviour of one USB 1.0 stick

Hello guys,

I've plugged into my PC a USB stick 1.0 (I seems 1.0 because it has a white plate).
However it is not recognised by my FreeBSD.

In the F1 shell I see the message: "hid_get_item: Number of items(257) truncated to 255".

Please, can you help me to understand more ?

Thanks in advance.

The color scheme for USB is not reliable; lots of USB 2.0 plugs are white too. At least so far, all USB 3.0 hardware I've seen is blue, but in USB 1 and 2 it seems to be a mess.

The big important question is what Sevendogbsd hinted at: What type of device do you have? The dmesg output will give you either an explicit text-format manufacturer and model name, or it will give you the same thing as a set of numbers (for unsupported devices), which you can then decode, and see what to do. But, as SirDice said, the device is most likely not a mass storage device, but a HID. I know there are some strange combination devices that are both simultaneously.

Where did you get that USB stick from? Is it from a trusted source? There are reports of manipulated memory sticks that contain “evil” additional functions, for example key loggers or other kinds of malware. Maybe you should be very careful with this stick.

Back