Other Strange archive format

Hello gang,

this thread follows the previous one: how tar(1) works ? and sum up the question only for reading comfort.

I've a file myfile.out. Using file(1) I've seen that it is a zipped file.
file(1) returns: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

Using winrar I've extracted its content, consisting of a folder containing several files inside it:

myfile.out --> myfolder ----> file1, file2, file3, .....

On my FreeBSD workstation, I see a strange behaviour:

bsdtar(1)
archivers/unrar
archivers/unzip
archivers/p7zip

are not able to decompress the archive and, asking for a list of its content, they show the contents in a strange form:

myfolder\file1 (\ back-slash)
myfolder\file2

The name of each file seems to be "glued" to the name of the folder by a backslash.

Have you a solution ?

Thanks in advance.

Then what about Wine and WinRAR?

The problem you're having in this thread and others may be due to some proprietary peculiarity, incompatibility between versions (of the algorithm or the software) or even simply an error in the archive file.

By the way, archivers/unrar is provided by the same company as WinRAR and is essentially the command-line version of WinRAR.

archivers/unrar is provided by the same company as WinRAR and is essentially the command-line version of WinRAR

Hello Beastie,

I'm agree with you ... infact I'm following this way ...
but the command:

Code:
unrar e -r myfile.out

produce this warning:

myfile.out is not RAR archive

This is very strange, because winrar correctly uncompress it.

Tips ?

Thanks.

Given the output of file(1) you posted above, are you sure archivers/unzip doesn't work? Note that the FreeBSD base system installs it's own version of unzip that uses libarchive(*) just like tar(1), so make sure to specify the full path for archivers/unzip: /usr/local/bin/unzip myfile.out

(*) This appears to be a bug in libarchive. See https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/commit/e8e0d6c3617d8fa6282c55ecf7db6416ede37495. tar(1) on 12.0-CURRENT handles such archives correctly. I believe that this fix is also in 11.2-RELEASE.

In other words ...
The problem you're having in this thread and others may be due to some proprietary peculiarity, incompatibility between versions (of the algorithm or the software) or even simply an error in the archive file.

It's always one of these ;)

Hello Beastie,

I'm agree with you ... infact I'm following this way ...
but the command:

Code:
unrar e -r myfile.out

produce this warning:

myfile.out is not RAR archive

This is very strange, because winrar correctly uncompress it.

Tips ?

Thanks.

Not that strange when you really think about it.

unrar only works on RAR archives. It's a speciality tool that does one thing only.

WinRAR is a multi-compression-format utility that can open ZIP, LZA, LZMA, RAR, and many other archive formats. It's more of a Swiss Army Knife tool.

Speaking of "swiss army knife" (un)archivers. There's also archivers/p7zip. But then again, tar(1) is pretty d**n impressive too! It's a rare occasion that I can't pry open a packed file with tar(1).

Ok Chris.

I've checked all the uncompression tools mentioned in this thread. Also p7zip. And I've reported the results.

However, I much appreciate if you can list here all possible option combinations of the tar(1) that solve for you the problem (I use FreeBSD 11.1).

Remember that using winrar I've extracted its content, consisting of a folder containing several files inside it:

myfile.out --> myfolder ----> file1, file2, file3, .....

NOTE: I would have liked the chance to have you personally try but I cannot send you this archive, because it contains private documents.

Bye bye !!!

tar(1) has a man(1) page that lists all of the seemingly millions of options available.
It'll unpack everything from xz(1) files, to CD's. I simply experiment until I hit the jackpot. I'm unaware of any utility that automagically determines the correct incantation to unpack any archive. But I can say that tar(1) is as close as it gets. If you simply throw tar at it, and you haven't used the correct options, it'll usually provide some good hints. In fact if all you do is throw tar x some.archive at the archive. You'll often be given some good hints, if it can't open it directly. I know of no aother (un)archiver as powerful as [tar(1), and I don't suspect anyone will ever attempt to top it.

Best wishes, and good luck!

--Chris

Back