Solved Stopping automounter

Well devd service takes care of hot plug events so in theory stopping it could affect anything you plug in.

As for anything related to the automount port, I don't think you should be editing that file, take a look back at post #17 in this thread or why not directly ask vermaden since he's the author?

I personally disable all automount stuff on my systems, having a mix of automount and no automount or temp disable leads to more trouble than it's worth.
Just my opinion.

Not sure what this is supposed to do...

Code:
cat /usr/local/etc/automount.conf
USERUMOUNT=YES

What happens if you set it to 'NO'?

Code:
USERUMOUNT (set to NO by default)
  When set to YES it will 'chmod +s /sbin/umount'
  which would allow an USER to unmount the file
  system with their selected file manager.

example: USERUMOUNT='YES'

Can I do this by changing /usr/local/sbin/automount to include the following:-

Bash:
     (${FS_TYPE_EXT4})                                                                                                                                                                           
        FS_CHECK_PORT='sysutils/e2fsprogs'                                                                                                                                                       
        FS_CHECK_CMD='fsck.ext4'                                                                                                                                                                 
        FS_CHECK_ARGS="-y"                                                                                                                                                                       
        FS_MOUNT_CMD='mount'                                                                                                                                                                     
        FS_MOUNT_ARGS="-t ext2fs"

instead of what is currently in place?
Older automount(8) used that:

Bash:
      (${FS_TYPE_EXT4})
        # sysutils/fusefs-ext4fuse
        FS_CHECK_CMD='fsck.ext4'
        FS_CHECK_ARGS="-y"
        FS_MOUNT_CMD='ext4fuse'
        FS_MOUNT_ARGS="${DEV} ${MNT}"
        ;;

So I would propose rather something like that:

Bash:
     (${FS_TYPE_EXT4})                                                                                                                                                                           
        FS_CHECK_CMD='fsck.ext4'                                                                                                                                                                 
        FS_CHECK_ARGS="-y"                                                                                                                                                                       
        FS_MOUNT_CMD='mount -t ext2fs'                                                                                                                                                                     
        FS_MOUNT_ARGS="${DEV} ${MNT}"

Can I do this by changing /usr/local/sbin/automount to include the following:-

Bash:
     (${FS_TYPE_EXT4})                                                                                                                                                                            
        FS_CHECK_CMD='fsck.ext4'                                                                                                                                                                  
        FS_CHECK_ARGS="-y"                                                                                                                                                                        
        FS_MOUNT_CMD='mount'                                                                                                                                                                      
        FS_MOUNT_ARGS="-t ext2fs"

instead of what is currently in place?

This is current way of handling EXT4 filesystems:

Bash:
      (${FS_TYPE_EXT4})
        FS_CHECK_CMD='fsck.ext4'
        FS_CHECK_ARGS="-y"
        FS_MOUNT_PORT='sysutils/fusefs-lkl'
        FS_MOUNT_CMD='lklfuse'
        FS_MOUNT_ARGS="-o type=ext4 -o allow_other -o intr -o uid=${UID} -o gid=${GID} -o umask=002 ${DEV} ${MNT}"
        ;;

This is current way of handling EXT4 filesystems:

Bash:
      (${FS_TYPE_EXT4})
        FS_CHECK_CMD='fsck.ext4'
        FS_CHECK_ARGS="-y"
        FS_MOUNT_PORT='sysutils/fusefs-lkl'
        FS_MOUNT_CMD='lklfuse'
        FS_MOUNT_ARGS="-o type=ext4 -o allow_other -o intr -o uid=${UID} -o gid=${GID} -o umask=002 ${DEV} ${MNT}"
        ;;
I encountered problems using lklfuse so I changed to '-t ext2fs' and am much happier with the result. I later found that lklfuse displayed files properly used the command line, but for some reason misc/mc seemed to hang. Using '-t ext2fs' it works normally.

In answer to my original query I found that

service devd stop

stops automounter, so it's useful if you're doing some testing and want to handle mounting USB devices yourself.

I've now added the following to ~/.cshrc to facilitate auto(un)mounting...

Code:
alias d+        service devd start
alias d-        service devd stop

Not really sure of the consequences of doing this, but it seems to work for me.

The devd(8) manual page will tel you about the consequences. In short: any device that can change state (like usb connected / disconnected) is handled by devd. So if devd is not running, the actions devd normally would take on those events are not performed.
For short times, when you are testing stuff, stopping devd might be acceptable.

Back