[Steamuxulation redux - linux-steam-utils] graphics acceleration not working

Hello. I like steam and I decided to make an FeeBSD-based distribution kit called SteamBSD. It is completely free.
You can try it yourself - download my distribution. It is recommended to select AMDGPU or INTEL during installation. Linux-steam-utils may not work on NVIDIA.

I want to ask a question
Why is graphics acceleration not working for linux-steam-utils?
See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFegIoFvobw&t=80s

Download site:

Last edited:
Calling it a distribution is going to rub a lot of feathers the wrong way.

I don't feel like that's the most pressing issue there.

I like steam and I decided to make an FeeBSD-based distribution kit called SteamBSD.

Just for a few packages?

Linux-steam-utils may not work on NVIDIA.

Apparently, danfe@ has a peculiar habbit of getting nvidia-driver and linux-nvidia-libs unsynced with each update. (This time in quarterly.) I suggest complaining to him.

I don't feel like that's the most pressing issue there.

Just for a few packages?

Apparently, danfe@ has a peculiar habbit of getting nvidia-driver and linux-nvidia-libs unsynced with each update. (This time in quarterly.) I suggest complaining to him.

I am not good at freebsd, but I can program a little in / bin / sh. I just want to do something convenient for people with auto installation.

The problem of the lack of graphics acceleration remains a mystery to me.

It's an expression. "To ruffle one's feathers" means "to agitate, irritate or annoy"

I am not good at freebsd, but I can program a little in / bin / sh. I just want to do something convenient for people with auto installation.

Suppose someone actually installs this. What then? Do you plan to provide updates and support? I mean, how many hours per week can you realistically spend on such a project?

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Turning it into a distro seems like a bit much. You could contribute to the existing helper scripts, instead. I think it would be more beneficial.
But I still wouldn't call it a distro if it;s largely the same system but with preinstalled packages

Suppose someone actually installs this. What then? Do you plan to provide updates and support? I mean, how many hours per week can you realistically spend on such a project?

I will do my best.
Once the graphics acceleration works for linux-steam-utils (this question haunts me) I will strengthen the work with SteamBSD.

This distribution has advantages over OTHER operating systems:

1. Multi-Steam accounts (on Windows sandbox it's buggy and avast module is commerce; on Linux I haven't seen a way), just add user called "steam2" and:
adduser
# for linux-steam-utils
sudo su steam2 -c 'steam-install'
sudo su steam2 -c 'steam'
# for wine
sudo su steam2 -c 'winetricks steam'
sudo su steam2 -c 'wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steam.exe'

2. ZFS file system allows you to create snapshots on the fly (because deleting a game under Windows clogs the registry and user folders. Linux btrfs can suddenly break, it's important when working with WINE)

# create snapshot
zfs snapshot zroot/usr/home@backup
# restore snapshot
zfs rollback zroot/usr/home@backup
# destroy snapshot
zfs destroy zroot/usr/home@backup

Turning it into a distro seems like a bit much. You could contribute to the existing helper scripts, instead. I think it would be more beneficial.
But I still wouldn't call it a distro if it;s largely the same system but with preinstalled packages

I cannot program in C ++.

I will do my best.
Once the graphics acceleration works for linux-steam-utils (this question haunts me) I will strengthen the work with SteamBSD.

This distribution has advantages over OTHER operating systems:

1. Multi-Steam accounts (on Windows sandbox it's buggy and avast module is commerce; on Linux I haven't seen a way), just follow
adduser
# for linux-steam-utils
sudo su steam2 -c 'steam-install'
sudo su steam2 -c 'steam
# for wine
sudo su steam2 -c 'winetricks steam'
sudo su steam2 -c 'wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steam.exe'

2. ZFS file system allows you to create snapshots on the fly (because deleting a game under Windows clogs the registry and user folders. Linux btrfs can suddenly break, it's important when working with WINE)

# create snapshot
zfs snapshot zroot/usr/home@backup
# restore snapshot
zfs rollback zroot/usr/home@backup
# destroy snapshot
zfs destroy zroot/usr/home@backup

Multiple steam user accounts. even running con-currently is actually really easy on linux or macos
Really, really easy. I cannot say the same for windows, I have yet to find a way to do it on windows without sandboxie, but on linux or macos it can be done natively.
Should be the same in bsd

I agree. Tell me, do you also have linux-steam-utils lagging? As if some package for accelerating graphics is missing?

Hi Dmitry, the development of this util is based on NVIDIA. And AMDGPU on FreeBSD is not developed very well due to the source issue.
In addition, I believe your acceleration issue is caused by the absense of a similar package of linux-nvidia-libs for amdgpu/intel gpu in linuxulator, which I believe no one has ever built such package.
So you may have to switch to Nvidia gpu, and you will find the acceleration is over there.

Thanks for the answer. I thought the opposite. However, I tried GeForce GT 710, the most recent driver + linux-nvidia-libs. Apparently freebsd 12.1 is still buggy. I will try until it works.

:-/

You mean AMD Vega doesn't work with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221? Isn't that obvious?
SteamBSD is automatically installed with a separate drm-kmod 12.1 driver. Although you may be right. If you do
pkg info | grep drm
then there will be two drivers.

That's a nice idea, but right now in this moment it's not worth it, if at all... (No offense.)
Linux-steam-utils on version 12.1 works for me without acceleration, but you can play games on WINE. A new version i386-wine-5.0 has been released and is included in SteamBSD.
View: https://youtu.be/oKOFCfLY1iM

View: https://youtu.be/FNNiPG2CW88

View: https://youtu.be/KlkeX77yPbg

P.S. I will wait for the stable nvidia and nvidia-libs packages for linux-steam-utils. I'm sure they are the problem.

HOW TO INSTALL GAMES:
1. Found your favorite steam game and remember ID (in browsers link)
2. Open terminal and enter follow code:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steam.exe steam://install/630
Where 630 - ID of steam game

ID OF GAMES
--- Free
Alien Swarm = 630
Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop = 563560
Fog Of War - Free Edition = 691020
Star Trek Timelines = 600750
TrackMania Nations Forever = 11020
Operation: New Earth = 528740
Age of Conquest IV = 314970
--- Commerce
Alan Wake = 108710
Counter-Strike: Source = 240
J.U.R : Japan Underground Racing = 513930
Doom 3 = 379720
Mafia 2 = 50130
Metro 2033 = 286690
Portal = 400
Rage = 9200
Anno 1404 = 1281630
Book of Demons = 449960
Borderlands 2 = 49520
Call of Duty: Black Ops II = 311210
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 = 10180
Clicker Heroes 2 = 629910
CLANNAD = 324160
Deadtime Defenders = 1148700
Dreamfall Chapters = 237850
Don't Starve Together = 322330
Euro Truck Simulator 2 = 227300
FarCry = 13520
Farming Simulator 15 = 313160
Fight The Dragon = 250560
Forager = 751780
Game Dev Tycoon = 239820
Garrys Mod = 4000
Golf With Your Friends = 431240
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas = 12120
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City = 12110
HELLDIVERS = 394510
Hero Siege = 269210
Kentucky Route Zero = 231200
Kona = 365160
Left 4 Dead 2 = 550
Life is Strange = 532210
Mirror's Edge = 17410
Overdungeon = 919370
PAYDAY 2 = 218620
PC Building Simulator = 621060
Plague Inc: Evolved = 246620
Stardew Valley = 413150
Stick Fight: The Game = 674940
SUPERHOT = 322500
Terraria = 105600
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim = 489830
The Impossible Game = 251630
The LEGO® Movie - Videogame = 267530
Torchlight II = 200710
Torchlight I = 41500
Tricky Towers = 437920

But you can play games on WINE. A new version i386-wine-5.0 has been released and is included in SteamBSD.
View: https://youtu.be/oKOFCfLY1iM

View: https://youtu.be/FNNiPG2CW88

View: https://youtu.be/KlkeX77yPbg

P.S. I will wait for the stable nvidia and nvidia-libs packages for linux-steam-utils. I'm sure they are the problem.

Yeah i know. For wine gaming i have created the small script games/homura but again, it would be better to put your efforts to the existing helper scripts as hoobastank69 have said, i can't write c++ myself either but it is nice when everyone contributes to one system instead of making their own soup, isn't it? 😐

Back