SteamonFreebsd still busted?

seed

Have not heard a thing about the steamonfreebsd project in a while now. From what I can tell, the project is defunct. Is that the case or are there ways to get it working?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

It's not that difficult to get the Steam client working using the Linux binary compatibility or Wine. It's the games themselves that are mostly the problem.

Brutanas

Hello!!

I am trying to install steam on freebsd following the instructions on:
https://github.com/SteamOnFreeBSD/SteamOnFreeBSD
I am having the error:
fetch: http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libx/libx11/libx11-6_1.6.3-1ubuntu3_i386.deb: Not Found
for several components during the installation... it seams that it is loking for *ubuntu3* but I only was capable to search and find *ubuntu2*...
Does somebody have an idea on how to be able to install it?
On playonbsd I was able to install it, but then I got a black screen on steam main window after login... :-(

Regards.

shkhln

I wouldn't touch that script, it downloads packages from multiple mirrors for 2 different Linux distributions and generally looks shoddily written. You can try your luck with steam-runtime and debootstrap.

On playonbsd I was able to install it, but then I got a black screen on steam main window after login... :-(
Code:
sudo pkg remove playonbsd
sudo pkg install i386-wine-devel
sudo pkg install winetricks
winetricks steam

OP
OP
S

seed

I wouldn't touch that script, it downloads packages from multiple mirrors for 2 different Linux distributions and generally looks shoddily written. You can try your luck with steam-runtime and debootstrap.

Code:
sudo pkg remove playonbsd
sudo pkg install i386-wine-devel
sudo pkg install winetricks
winetricks steam
Thanks for your reply.
Previously I was using wine-staging for csmt trick, would vanilla wine devel be preferable?