Steam and Proton

Hi very new to Freebsd steam and proton how do I download them ? in linux proton is included in Steam do all linux games in steam that work though Proton will they also work on FREEB

steam and proton how do I download them
You don't.

in linux proton is included in Steam do all linux games in steam that work though Proton will they also work on FREEB
Some work, some don't.

You question makes me presume you are new to FreeBSD.

Nearly all software capable running under FreeBSD is already included as packages or ports.
Follow SirDice's advice, and read handbook's chapter 4.
Installing software on FreeBSD is really simple indeed - as long as it's included as a package (easiest and fastest way) or within the ports - is also not complicated but could take a while because of compilation.

If not, you either have to get the sourcecode (with games.... well... not so easy ;) ) or you need to set up an environment on FreeBSD first, within you can install and run software binaries from a foreign operating system such as Windows or Linux:
wine, VirtualBox, Linux-compatibility (see the handbook as Alexander88207 mentioned), dosbox... what your game suits best.

For a FreeBSD newcomer this may not the easiest way, cause it's not done by installing the software you want to run only.
(Linux distributions mainly differ by the software package handler they use, and FreeBSD is no Linux at all.)

If playing games is one of your primary targets, I suggest to have FreeBSD as for work and all serious stuff - get involved! :cool: it's worth it, because it's really a great OS -
but have another, additional partition, drive or machine with e.g. ubuntu or windows on it, just for playing the games - at least as long as you are well versed enough in FreeBSD.

just my 2c... trying to install Steam on FreeBSD is like trying to install Mark Levinson audio system on T72B3...
Everything has its purpose, and hosting gaming platforms and entertainment is not what FreeBSD is made for I assume.

Indeed, no reputable company would base their platform on an OS without a gaming memory allocator, gaming process scheduler, gaming filesystem and a special purpose gaming network stack.
I had no idea that you could speak the language of... "upper management" ;)

Thanks Jose. I am fairly new here and have not filed a PR before; I will go through the documentation that you have recommended.

Indeed, no reputable company would base their platform on an OS without a gaming memory allocator, gaming process scheduler, gaming filesystem and a special purpose gaming network stack. Sony really should be ashamed.
you do understand that the amount of work Sony had to do to port freebsd on PS4 and the amount of work people who just want to "install steam/proton" and play games are willing to do is...quite different...right?

That doesn't concern me. I maintain the aforementioned FreeBSD Steam port and know exactly what kernel alterations were necessary to package that thing. (Less than 10 bug fixes, that's it.) What's your claim to fame?

No, I do not have one.

OK. If you'd like to get one, it can (in some situations) streamline progress in Bugzilla. For example:
  1. <https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/wine/#wine-companion-programs>
  2. Edit this page
1644911899556.png

Then, if you're confident with your edition, make it a pull request (PR) – draft, if you like. When you're ready, link to the PR from Bugzilla.

• Thanks
Reactions: drr
Just wanted to post on this topic as I was testing proton today. I was actually using a system with GhostBSD. Anyway, I removed the lines in the steam-installer script that won't allow a wheel user to install steam and just installed on my user account. I guess because I live on the edge.

Anyway, steam and proton seem to just work using the provided compat and scripts. Pretty nice. Although not allowing install to your user account is kind of silly in my opinion.

EDIT: just as a note about FreeBSD vs GhostBSD, I've not noticed any difference between them other than having all the things I may or may not use installed by default. Meh.

Is it correct to say FreeBSD was not made for "steam ; systemd ;Digital Rights Management ; flatpak,cubernetes, flatpak,snap, appimage"

Is it correct to say FreeBSD was not made for "steam ; systemd ;Digital Rights Management ; flatpak,cubernetes, flatpak,snap, appimage"

I guess as correct as saying it wasn't made to run any number of things. I guess it is user preference or determination like anything else in computing. But I have steam on my 13.2 system as well and it runs exactly the same. I'm not sure what they're doing with ghost other than preinstalled things and auto config scripts because there's no noticable difference to me.

EDIT: I guess I should say the only difference I have noticed is the obvious fact I'm installing someone elses predetermined install path. Lol

Back