State of ACPI on FreeBSD 8

I use FreeBSD on all my systems and I'm a very happy user. I also run it on my laptop and at the moment I have both Windows XP and Ubuntu running in VirtualBox, plus I have a lot of other applications open as well and it just works great under heavy load.

Now, restarting all these applications every time I turn off my laptop would be very painful and therefore I tried suspend/resume but it didn't work (on 7.2). So for the moment I simply keep my laptop running most of the time. I know ACPI is not a priority and may never become one, but it makes laptop usage much harder without.

Anyway, has support for suspend/resume been improved in 8? Is resuming from multiple cores supported on i386?. I realize that many ACPI implementations are buggy and that makes development hard and time consuming. After my busy period I will look into debugging ACPI for my laptop and see if I can make myself of use. And next time I will check the suspend/resume support before I buy a laptop.

It has been improved, but it's not yet perfect. You will need to test it. :)

In my limited experienced, bge(4) and iwn(4) have issues resuming, but everything else seems to work.

That's good news and I will definitely give it a shot once it's released. I don't have bge or iwn, but it's a Dell laptop (Inspiron E1505) and I heard their ACPI implementation is buggy. Does anyone have experience with bfe or wpi? And is dual core supported on i386?

Just to be clear, I meant dual core support for suspend/resume on i386. Until now you had to disable one core to have any chance of making it work.

Oh. I think i386 was the first to get multicore suspend/resume, and to my knowledge it works as well as amd64 works. (I've only tested amd64 myself)

From what I remember, amd64 first got (or was substantially improved recently) SMP suspend/resume not i386.

Try and you will see if it works for you.

I'll try it when I have time and FreeBSD 8 is released. It would be nice to know what to expect though. I have a 32 bit laptop, so from what I read here the chances of having suspend/resume working on SMP are slim to nonexistent.

Back