LXDE Startx error with lxde - No such file or directory

I have a fresh installation of 14.0-R on which I have installed x11/lxde-meta, which I have installed many times previously, but it looks like I've overlooked something.

When I run startx:-

Code:
ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxde

I get a black screen with an error saying 'No such file or directory'.

There are a few icons at the bottom of the screen showing Menu Items, File Manager, and Desktop Selection at the left hand side. At the right there are icons for Volume, Date, a About icon, and a logout icon which only allows lock screen, logout and cancel.

(Some head scratching time later....)

Noticed that dbus_enable was missing, along with moused_enable in /etc/rc.conf. After adding those entries and rebooting (not sure if it possible to get the system to reread the file without rebooting), the previous error was replaced by an error I've seen many times...

Failed to execute program org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit: Permission denied.
A search for this error, or something like it took me to - Thread 61540 which basically told me use the the .xinitrc I was actually using, although the was reference to adding exec startlxde, which I did without making any difference.

Any suggestions on what I may have missed out?

Code:
ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxde

I have created a brand new separate partition to test this out. It simply contains base+kernel plus these pkgs - drm-kmod, xorg, lxde-meta.

cat /etc/rc.conf:-

Code:
hostname="X61"                                                                                                                                                                                    
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"                                                                                                                                                                                
dbus_enable="YES"                                                                                                                                                                                  
sshd_enable="YES"                                                                                                                                                                                  
nfs_server_enable="YES"                                                                                                                                                                            
sendmail_enable="NONE"                                                                                                                                                                            
kld_list="i915kms"

There is a /var/log/Xorg.0.log but I can't identify any errors.

Don't really know where to look

This is on a ThinkPad X61, and I have had LXDE working fine on it for years, I just can't work out what I may have missed out in setting it up.

There are two versions of i915kms.
One in base and one in ports.
You are running the one in base.
It may not support your GPU.
Remove i915kms from rc.conf and reboot.
Then manually load the base driver.
kldload i915kms
See if it is loading ok.
You may need ports drm-515-kmod for FreeBSD 14

You are not loading the kmod with your rc.conf. You are loading base i915kms.

You want this:
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

What I have isn't causing a problem with lxde...

kldstat:

Code:
Id Refs Address                Size Name                                                                                                                                                           
 1   33 0xffffffff80200000  1f3e2d0 kernel                                                                                                                                                         
 2    1 0xffffffff82320000   1808b8 i915kms.ko                                                                                                                                                     
 3    1 0xffffffff824a1000    72bd8 drm.ko                                                                                                                                                         
 4    1 0xffffffff82514000     22b0 iic.ko                                                                                                                                                         
 5    2 0xffffffff82517000     30fc linuxkpi_gplv2.ko                                                                                                                                               
 6    3 0xffffffff8251b000     62d8 dmabuf.ko                                                                                                                                                       
 7    1 0xffffffff82522000     21e8 acpi_dock.ko                                                                                                                                                   
 8    1 0xffffffff82525000     3250 ichsmb.ko                                                                                                                                                       
 9    1 0xffffffff82529000     2180 smbus.ko

Back