Solved Stalling in boot process after new world install

Hello there.
After building and installing new kernel, new world was built and installed successfully, but won't boot now.
The boot process is stopped after

EFI Framebuffer installtion
'at' addr, size 0xf1000000, 0x500000
dimensions 1200x1024

and after that, there is nothing but blank and black screen.
I tried to boot machine with a live USB BSD and chroot to that , the last kernel I made is 12.3 and everything works fine, and also I tried to boot machine with any other 9 kernels that I compiled before and was working fine. But all failed to boot.

After building and installing new kernel, new world was built and installed successfully, but won't boot now.
the last kernel I made is 12.3 and also I tried to boot machine with any other 9 kernels that I compiled before and was working fine. But all failed to boot.
This implies it's been a (major) version upgrade? Or did you build a fresh kernel and world from the same 12.3 source? Anything in /etc/make.conf?

Latest kernel was 12.2
kernel and world were compiled from same souce , I don't remember touch even single configuration file in /etc

The screen is still same as it was before.
1.jpg

At the boot menu, hit 5, your console is switched to serial, not video. So no video console.

Two excellent observations from sideways text!
Serial Console is enabled.
I can't tell you the number of times this has got me.
I have usb sticks for FreeBSD installation with serial enabled and have gotten them mixed up.

nvidia.ko could be problematic too and need rebuild for FreeBSD-13.1 12.3-RELEASE
disable kldload_nvidia from /etc/rc.conf and disable serial_enable=YES from /boot/loader.conf

Two ace troubleshooters from one little scrap.

The system does probably boot regardless of the 'missing' video console. I assume you enabled sshd? Just let the machine boot and login remotely. As others noted, it's probably the nvidia driver. So boot the system, login via sshd and remove nvidia_load from /boot/loader.conf. With modern NVidia cards and drivers this should probably load nvidia-modeset, not nvidia.

It's better to load the NVidia driver via /etc/rc.conf though. sysrc kld_list+="nvidia-modeset"

Or if you cannot ssh to the system, you might boot the system with a FreeBSD USB stick, open a shell, mount the partition containing /boot and change loader.conf this way.

The system does probably boot regardless of the 'missing' video console. I assume you enabled sshd? Just let the machine boot and login remotely. As others noted, it's probably the nvidia driver. So boot the system, login via sshd and remove nvidia_load from /boot/loader.conf. With modern NVidia cards and drivers this should probably load nvidia-modeset, not nvidia.

It's better to load the NVidia driver via /etc/rc.conf though. sysrc kld_list+="nvidia-modeset"
I did that before, as i said my bsd does not load at all even without video and when it running with serial
Instead of video, I did some tests such as ping,ssh even nmap scan, and there is no sign of OS, i think i should boot with a live os and recompile all, am I wrong?

Create a USB with FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE boot and see if it's booting into Live CD. This will show you if the GENERIC kernel and loader.efi from FreeBSD 13.1 is able to detect your UEFI GOP correctly. If you boot using GENERIC 13.1 kernel you can mount +rw your current OS and modify /boot/loader.conf.

Create a USB with FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE boot and see if it's booting into Live CD. This will show you if the GENERIC kernel and loader.efi from FreeBSD 13.1 is able to detect your UEFI GOP correctly. If you boot using GENERIC 13.1 kernel you can mount +rw your current OS and modify /boot/loader.conf.
I am able to modify file and I did before if you look some past posts, I can chroot and even execute so.e commands. The problem is not get access to files.

It was a custom kernel you were trying to boot? If things work again with the GENERIC kernel did you perhaps remove COMPAT_FREEBSD11 from your custom kernel?

Back